Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-30-2010, 10:42 PM   #1 
shinybetta

Mantids

Anyone keep them? I use to before I got into fish. I once imported a plant, and it came with an exotic mantid. Once accustomed to humans, they make great pets, you can even let them leave their enclosure! Here is a good site:http://www.mantiskingdom.com/
shinybetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 10:49 PM   #2 
nomoretickets

last year on the way back from drumline rehearsal a huge (6 inch long) female praying mantis decided that the cymbal line was food and attacked us. I trapped her in a box and made her my pet. after a week i just let her roam about the room and fed her crickets i found on campus. she was fairly old when i got her though, and she died about 3 months later.
nomoretickets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 10:53 PM   #3 
shinybetta

Very few mantids live past christmas. Early deaths could occur in november, depending on species. They sorta remind me of betta's. They are solitary and will fight, and breeding is very aggressive. Though, a mantid could have up to 2,000 babies! I found an ootheca (egg case) in my backyard, and I plan on keeping 20-30 babies until they get aggressive. I don't have enough enclosures.
Old 12-01-2010, 12:49 AM   #4 
Jupiter

I remember back in elementary I had a friend who lived right next to a really big field. He was really interested in animals and was always bringing a mantis or a snake that he had caught to show me. He kept one of the mantises as a pet, I remember, but when he brought it to school to show they forced him to release it.
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 12:54 AM   #5 
TaylorW

:(

Lol, my school would be in some trouble if they made me release my pet! :P
TaylorW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 01:05 AM   #6 
purplemuffin

I love mantids! I personally want one of the beautiful orchid mantids! Gorgeous! Been researching them for about a year, the exotic ones take quite a bit of work to keep at the right humidity..and molting is scary business, that's when most deaths happen(their bodies are soft when they molt, that's how they get out of their skin..this makes them sensitive, so they can be hurt by objects in their cage, but if there is nothing for them to reach or they are in an awkward position, they can become stuck in their old skin and harden and die!)

But the simple beautiful green ones are pretty easy and get to be a nice big size! Sad how short their lives are!
purplemuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 01:23 AM   #7 
dramaqueen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jupiter View Post
I remember back in elementary I had a friend who lived right next to a really big field. He was really interested in animals and was always bringing a mantis or a snake that he had caught to show me. He kept one of the mantises as a pet, I remember, but when he brought it to school to show they forced him to release it.
That reminds me of the time my older brother took a couple of garden snakes on the bus to school. The bus driver freaked and wouldn't let him back on the bus after school. He was forced to leave them and he found out the next day that they let them go.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 09:57 AM   #8 
shinybetta

Yah, orchids are hard work. Cryptic mantids are cool. They should be on the store section of the link. There are some mantids that can be kept in colonies.
Old 12-01-2010, 08:57 PM   #9 
peaches3221

a few years ago I wanted a mantis for a pet, but couldn't find one. now I'm considering buying a chinese mantis over the internet! they're supposed to be great for begginners!
peaches3221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 11:03 PM   #10 
shinybetta

Yes, Chinese are great or beginners! I had one, a male, as my first. They are originally native to china, though they got brought to U.S.A. I have a chinese mantis ootheca right now, I could possibly send you some babies.