Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-30-2010, 03:29 PM   #11 
Oldfishlady

I have found that the stick on thermometer to be pretty close to temp when I compared to my digital thermometer

Location of the stick on thermometer is also important-you want them mid level opposite the heater-if you have a filter you want the heater next to it.

In tanks without filtration you can sometimes have different temps in different locations in the tank-usually at the bottom it will be colder than mid and upper levels

Same with larger tanks (10g+) even with filtration can have different water temps at the bottom and around large decorations and mass of plants

The fish can move between these different water temps without any problems or ill effects.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 11:07 AM   #12 
sayurasem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
I have found that the stick on thermometer to be pretty close to temp when I compared to my digital thermometer

Location of the stick on thermometer is also important-you want them mid level opposite the heater-if you have a filter you want the heater next to it.

In tanks without filtration you can sometimes have different temps in different locations in the tank-usually at the bottom it will be colder than mid and upper levels

Same with larger tanks (10g+) even with filtration can have different water temps at the bottom and around large decorations and mass of plants

The fish can move between these different water temps without any problems or ill effects.

yeah, i was getting that problem.
when i moved my hand around inside the aquarium it was warm, cold

so i put my heater on the middle bottom vertically if you bird view the tank.

works pretty good. since i remember anything hot is denser than cold stuff.
sayurasem is offline   Reply With Quote