Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-02-2010, 12:13 AM   #11 
TaylorW

I do absolutely nothing for my ferns! No filter, no plant food, no special lighting. Just a desk lamp with an LED light, which shouldn't even work for plants! XD

I've used salts with no problem, and they are supposed to get big, but if you don't give them anything to help them grow the will grow super slowly.

Very hardy plants!
TaylorW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 12:36 AM   #12 
Tsuhei

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorW View Post
I do absolutely nothing for my ferns! No filter, no plant food, no special lighting. Just a desk lamp with an LED light, which shouldn't even work for plants! XD

I've used salts with no problem, and they are supposed to get big, but if you don't give them anything to help them grow the will grow super slowly.

Very hardy plants!
That actually sounds fantastic. Where did you get your ferns at? Petsmart? (because I don't want any little snails hitch-hiking into my tank..=P)

Or did you order them online?
Tsuhei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 12:47 AM   #13 
TaylorW

Actually, I have a non-big-chain petstore half an hour away from my house that sells them... Sorry I can't tell you where to get them at :/
Old 12-02-2010, 01:12 AM   #14 
Tsuhei

Quote:
Actually, I have a non-big-chain petstore half an hour away from my house that sells them... Sorry I can't tell you where to get them at :/
Darn! Well, I'll check out the Petsmart plants that they keep in little tubes in the aquarium section..maybe order something online then ;) Gotta wait for my Marimo Moss and my Indian Almond Leaves to come in first though
Old 12-02-2010, 01:34 AM   #15 
TaylorW

I actually managed to kill a marimo, I'm just that bad with plants! Or well, at least that bad with algae :P
Old 12-02-2010, 02:15 AM   #16 
Tsuhei

Quote:
I actually managed to kill a marimo, I'm just that bad with plants! Or well, at least that bad with algae :P
O_o Really?! Crap, that means that I'll probably kill it too! *knock on wood...100 times!*

What's your water levels? Ph and alkalinity? I want to compare your levels to mine to see if my poor little marimo moss that are coming might die too if you had bad luck D:
Old 12-02-2010, 11:59 AM   #17 
TaylorW

I don't test my water since my tank isn't filtered :( I just have one 2.5 tank and I change the water once every 2-3 days...

My marimo was half brown when I got it, so it could have already been on it's way to death before I got it in my tank.
Old 12-02-2010, 05:30 PM   #18 
Tsuhei

Quote:
I don't test my water since my tank isn't filtered :( I just have one 2.5 tank and I change the water once every 2-3 days...

My marimo was half brown when I got it, so it could have already been on it's way to death before I got it in my tank.
Yuck! Yeah, it sounds like it was in poor condition But my tank isn't filtered as well and 2.5 gallons =P But if it was brown, that was probably the reason why it died..I heard they're really quite resilient. Hopefully I have luck!
Old 12-02-2010, 08:45 PM   #19 
TaylorW

I'm sure you will if it comes in green! Mine was sickly to begin with, but I might have hastened along it's death :P
Old 12-02-2010, 08:55 PM   #20 
Alex09

You can buy java ferns at petco. They sell them in the tubes as 'tropica fern'. I bought 2 and both are still alive a few months later. I dont even keep a light on over my tank, just leave my shutters open and bring in indirect sunlight.
Alex09 is offline   Reply With Quote