Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-26-2010, 06:38 PM   #1 
ReneeB

Male CT sits "upright" on his tale and has trouble swimming to the top *pics*

Of course, saw him at Wal-mart. I need to just stay clear. The more I purchase, the more they buy... but besides that.... I'm not sure what is wrong with him.

His body seems a little thin compaired to his head. He sits at the bottom and he sites upright, spin curved a little, and he is on his tail. (see pic) looks like a lady wearing a dress kind of. He swims the same. I've gotten him to eat a little. He is not very active. He will swim around the bottom of the jar horizontal (spin a little curved), but then to go up, you get what is in the photos.

I at first thought he was just malnourished, but now I'm worried it maybe swim bladder disease.

Any thoughts on how I can help him????

Water temp is 78 degrees. I change out 50% of his water daily (use prime to what I add) and feed him 2 pellets of aqueon mini cichlid pellets (w minerals & trace nutrients). Then a couple blood worms in the evening. He is currently in a large jar that sits within a heated 10 gallon 1/2 full water movement. He has trouble swimming, getting to the top of the jar I thought would help him. My 5 gallon has a for ever pregnant guppy who can't get any fatter in there, once she has her fry I can her and the fry out to their tanks and put him in there and keep the water level low.

Thanks so much for your help. I don't even know what kind he is, the peach could be washed out red... I just would like him to feel better.

Him sitting (most common position he does)

Him trying to swim

Last edited by ReneeB; 11-26-2010 at 06:40 PM. Reason: Tail... not tale... o fun spell check
ReneeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 10:40 AM   #2 
Oldfishlady

I would keep him in the jar for now, lower the water level so he can get to the top easier and start an Epsom salt 1tsp/gal 10 day treatment along with 100% daily water changes, cover the top with a plastic veggie wrap to keep the air warm and humid for his labyrinth organ and maintain a water temp of 76-78F during treatment.
I like to pre-mix my Epsom salt 1tsp/gal and dechlorinator in a 1gal jug to help make correct dosage and water changes easier...if you have IAL (Indian almond leaf) or naturally dried native oak leaf to add and steep in the pre-mixed water all the better...the tannins can be helpful.....

Make sure and keep the water within a couple of degrees between new and old water so not to shock him-
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 11:15 AM   #3 
naturegirl243

Thats what Carlisle was doing I did what OFL said but I think I was too late cause he died today.So my only advice since everything I did didn't work is treat him as soon as possible.
naturegirl243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 12:36 PM   #4 
ReneeB

Thank you! I will do just that. I have all types of wood, actually I have a piece of contorted filbert soaking in my guppy tank, would that water help? I can order the almond leaves too. Would regular oak leaves, like going to the woods and getting some work? I have a plant in there for him to lay at levels, he is inside of a 10 gallon, with heater and lid. so there is condensation on the walls too.

Should I continue to feed him?

Thanks so much for your help.
Old 11-27-2010, 12:44 PM   #5 
Oldfishlady

I collect my oak leaves from my yard-just make sure they are pollution/pesticide free and have naturally dried and fallen from the tree-rinse and use as needed-no special number-I go for color-deep amber.....

If he wants to eat I would feed him at this point since this is more related to water quality/buoyancy and not bloat, overfeeding..etc.....small amounts several times a day
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 12:45 PM   #6 
ReneeB

he already seems to be doing a little better :) least now he is hanging out by the top of the water and still eating. It looks like he can swim a lil better too. I'll keep it up for the 10 days. After that do I wean him off the salt or will he be ok going into fresh.
Old 12-02-2010, 12:20 AM   #7 
dramaqueen
Banned

I'm glad he's doing better.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote