Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-02-2010, 06:16 AM   #11 
Neelie

i love it when ppl get fish before they even bothered to get proper housing or do research. the fish is the last thing you buy dammit....
Neelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 06:47 AM   #12 
DormDrax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neelie View Post
i love it when ppl get fish before they even bothered to get proper housing or do research. the fish is the last thing you buy dammit....
Oooh yes attack the person doing everything he can.

The Betta's were given out at my Dorm as part of a ...I don't know, Dorm... thing. All we were given was the Vases, Spring Water, Stones, The Fish, and food and a Really bad care sheet. So don't tell me that 'I' did anything wrong. If anything I'll probably be the only one keeping their's alive!

*Goes for it* How big are your Betta's Bubble Nest's because Drax might not be in the best home at the moment but he sure is blowing up a storm with his nest...

*EDIT*

To even go further into my love of Drax now... I searched all over the Dorm and through a (Locked) glass door into a Storage room (Where they keep party supplies) I spotted a large Unopened Bottle of the Spring water they had given us. After class I'll go pester the RA's into letting me clean and refresh his water.

Last edited by DormDrax; 12-02-2010 at 06:52 AM.
DormDrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 08:41 AM   #13 
fleetfish

Out of my guys three have some nice thick bubblenests. In general, yes, it means they're happy but it's also part of their natural instinct. I'm glad you're learning about bettas even though it's through the hard way. They really are wonderful, full of spunk and personality and you'll see it as Drax gets a better living environment.

As far as Popeye goes, usually it's not deadly, but you have to watch out for infection (which IS deadly). Start out by giving him clean dechlorinated water, changed daily, with aquarium salt and a heater turned to 80*. Also, if you can find frozen (not freeze dried!) bloodworms and brine shrimp from the pet store to feed him, they will suppliment him with much needed protein and vitamins lacking in the flakes and it will help boost his immune system.

He's a lovely looking guy. I really hope he does well for you, we're here to help and not discourage. Many of us have gone through similar situations. :)

Last edited by fleetfish; 12-02-2010 at 08:46 AM.
fleetfish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 12:42 PM   #14 
Tsuhei

Just wanted to add - try not to use spring water. First, it's probably softer than the water you have already in his vase and a very different Ph...it could shock him. Also, I believe that it has a lot of minerals in it and metals that can harm your fishie. Sometimes, even, the bottles still have chlorine in it (tested a crappy bottle of water from a small convenience store...tested positive for chlorine!). Just get the water conditioner! It's cheaper than the two or three bottles of water you're going to have to use to fill that tank.
Tsuhei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 01:09 PM   #15 
Oldfishlady

I just cured a female Betta the other day that was brought to me that had popeye...what I did....

Qt- or small container- first 3 days Epsom salt 1tsp/gal then I did an increase on the Epsom salt 2tsp/gal on day 4-8 along with 100% daily water changes-water temp 76-77F

I use a clean 1gal jug and pre mix my Epsom salt and added crushed dried oak leaves-this makes the 100% daily water changes and correct dosage easier too.

I feed high protein diet of mosquito larva and flake fish food- Ocean nutrition brand (all meat)

She was good as new by day 8-and went home on day 9
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 12:36 AM   #16 
DazzleKitty

I am still in LOVE with your decor!

If I remember right, didn't you say you got it from one of your classes? Because if you bought it somewhere, I'd love to get my hands on some of the pretty jewels you have in his home!
DazzleKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 05:08 AM   #17 
DormDrax

Quote:
Originally Posted by DazzleKitty View Post
I am still in LOVE with your decor!

If I remember right, didn't you say you got it from one of your classes? Because if you bought it somewhere, I'd love to get my hands on some of the pretty jewels you have in his home!

My college Dorm supplied the Vase rocks (Which will get put into his larger future tank) along with new stones.
So I don't know they came from.

The large Gem outside I got at a Japanese festival and the Dragon as a Renaissance Festival.

So probably found at any small town Pet Shop. Since found out it wasn't Wallmart of PetCo... but a small mom/pop store.

Already heard from RA's (Who had arranged the Fish thing and given out 60 fish)

... Of Several fish deaths already.

Some of which were so... stupid. ... I wanted to slap the owner.

"Kept feedin him and he jumped outta the cup (KeyWord, never moved him to the Vase)! Then died!"

"My room is kinda cold but why couldn't a HARDY Betta survive just 62F!?"

Then the worst excuse... "Wait... they need an air hole? (Girl explained she sat a Doll on the top of vase... Suffocated her BEtta) No one told me!" (Which is CRAP since even the Crappy Instructions we had been given said and I quote. "A Betta has a special ability to breath air in low quality water, so please keep an opening in container so your Betta can breath freely!"
DormDrax is offline   Reply With Quote