Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-01-2010, 03:20 AM   #1 
baylee767

Exclamation Oh Noo! Velvet has a Fungal Infection!

My Just recued Betta Velvet has a small cottony patch or 2 on his chin!!!!! But, he still has lots of energy, and I'm not sure if he eats well or not because I haven't fed him yet (I was fasting him to cure his bloat) But his chin DOES have cottony patch or 2 on it.

He's currently in a 1.5 gallon tank that my sister used to never clean when she had him. He's currently getting daily 100% water changes, he also gets 1.5 teaspoons of AQ salt (Got him last night, today was the first time)

The fungal medications I have are: metholine blue and Ich attack (It may be called ich attack but it also treats fungus)

If it turns out he doesn't have a fungal infection, this medicine won hurt him, right?
baylee767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 06:47 AM   #2 
fleetfish

You should be really really careful about using medicines, don't use them if your fish isn't sick. Can you get pics of the patches?
fleetfish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 08:32 AM   #3 
small fry

I would be careful useing more than one medictaion at a time. If you use a medication too much, it is a possibility that your fish can become immune to the good effects of the medication.

I have heard the same for aquarium salts. Too many meds at one time can stress out the fish. Aslo, some very common meds, when used together, can be extremely flameable.

I would probably just use one med. Good job with the water changes! Alot of times, meds attack the symtoms but WC attack the problem. Reguardless, daily WC for your sick fish can be the best cure sometimes.

We can probably be able to diagnose for sure if you can put up some pics.

Hope Velvet gets better soon!
small fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 09:25 AM   #4 
TaylorW

I wouldn't use a medicine if I didn't know what I was treating... I would just raise the water temperature a tad and use aquarium salt for a few days, and see if that helps any!

My boy gets cottony spots all the time (a bit of chronic lymphocystis), so when the spots get bad I just add a little bit of salt, keep him warm, and feed him high quality foods. If you can boost the fish's immune system, most things will go away without meds.
TaylorW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 01:25 PM   #5 
JaspersANGEL

Ya agreed, don't treat if the fish is not sick. Sometime's a good cleaning schedual and good warm temp's can do miracles.

But I know what it feel's like to feel like ur useless, one of my little guy's Tex has a hole in his anal fin lined by black and I'm not sure if it's fin rot or not. And it's killing me not being able to do anything for him, but he's not acting sick so I think I may just be paranoid.

Anyways I hope Velvet get's better soon!
JaspersANGEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 09:34 PM   #6 
small fry

How is Velvet? Is he doing better?
small fry is offline   Reply With Quote