Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-04-2010, 12:14 AM   #1 
nomoretickets

Need help finding carpet plant

I'm trying to get started into planted tanks, and I'm going to do a low light, non-co2 tank. I want to use java fern and Anubis for the main plants, but I'm having trouble finding a good carpet plant. I would love to use dwarf hairgrass but I have read that it truly struggles in non-co2 tanks. I'm just looking for something that will serve the same function as dwarf hairgrass, but more low maintainence. I was thinking about maybe java moss or christmass moss but Id prefere a grassy plant over a moss. Any ideas?
nomoretickets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 02:14 AM   #2 
ilovebunnies

For a low tech setup, I think the java moss or christmas moss would be your best option. To get it to form a carpet, you can tie it to mesh and place on the bottom of your tank. Anything else might not grow the way you want it to.

Hope someone else can give you better advice ;)
ilovebunnies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 03:02 AM   #3 
weluvbettas

What Ilovebunnies said is probally your best option.Any moss would work. In a low tech setup , ludwigia repens is a great starter plant so is ancharis there both mainly a background plant. Also joining the plantedtank.net would be good they give a lot of good advice.
weluvbettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 12:30 PM   #4 
nomoretickets

Thanks guys, I'll probably do christmass moss since it seems it's easier to control than java moss and weluvbettas you answered my next question as to avoid background plant!
Old 12-04-2010, 01:39 PM   #5 
LittleBettaFish

I had a species of Lilaeopsis (micro swords) in my planted tanks and they essentially only got what sunlight filtered in and the occasional dosing of Excel and Flourish when I remembered. I planted them in very small bunches, and while it took a couple of weeks before they established, they eventually started sending off runners and sprouting new shoots.

I grew dwarf hairgrass in an unheated tank that only had light when I remembered to turn it on. I used Aquasoil as the substrate and did the occasional Excel dose. Most of the original plant melted while it was establishing, but then it started sending off all these new shoots and runners through the soil.

I trashed that tank the other day and having stirred up all the soil it was so murky that it hadn't seen light in nearly a week. But when I was siphoning through the gravel I found some hairgrass that was still growing. It has since been planted in one of my proper tanks so I shall have to see if it spreads.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 03:36 PM   #6 
nomoretickets

see i love the way micro sword and hairgrass looks, but my goal with planted tanks for now is as low maintainence as possible (and hence cheaper).
Old 12-04-2010, 04:55 PM   #7 
Oldfishlady

When you say low light...how low is it and how deep is the tank, in my low tech tanks I have had good luck getting a fair carpet with E. tenellus with a little over 2wpg 12h photoperiod, no CO2, no ferts added...but I do have soil based tanks
The E. tennellus grew pretty fast and covered the front section of my 75gal in 3 months with a start of about 12-14 plants and still going strong today...gives a nice grassy look and only get about 3in tall and spreads by runners.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote