Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-28-2010, 03:12 AM   #1 
baylee767

Lightbulb How about a sorority and guppies??

I've been unsure whether to do a sorority or community tank lately. I've also gotten this recent obsession with guppies. Then I thought: Why not both?

But than I realized the guppies would be torn apart by what I'd imagine a good description to be a pack of wolves hunting its prey

But than I just checked the aqua advisor stocking website and with 5 female bettas and 2 guppies, if I had no filter, I'd be 99% stocked. But of course, I am going to have a filter, a biowheel one, so that makes the rates go a bit down. The AQ advisor had no warnings about guppies with female Bettas, even though it prohibits Bettas and corycats.

So, would a sorority of 5 bettas with 2 male guppies work? Or would the male guppies die? Or, could any other fish go into the tank instead?
baylee767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 08:01 AM   #2 
nomoretickets

From what I have read, guppies and bettas generally don't do so well together because if the similar fins.
nomoretickets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 10:10 AM   #3 
bettablue

Also guppies do better in a bigger group, just two of them would be a little under and I think your sorority would be overstocked too
bettablue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 11:21 AM   #4 
crowntail lover

How big is the tank??
And if you were going to add guppies.. You should probably get female... But if your tank is only a 10g... You shouldnt add any tank mates other than a snail..or some shrimp.
crowntail lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 02:58 PM   #5 
shinybetta

It should work. My LFS has a sorority with male guppies, and they don't have problems. But cory cats are fine.
shinybetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 03:40 PM   #6 
crowntail lover

I had some Guppies in with my 15g sorority and they did okay together..I have 5 females and 3 guppies..
Old 12-05-2010, 04:53 PM   #7 
Alex09

Bettas+ Guppies are an iffy mix. Not to mention: The more females you have, the bigger the chance that one of them wont like guppies. All I gotta say.
Alex09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 05:13 PM   #8 
crowntail lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex09 View Post
Bettas+ Guppies are an iffy mix. Not to mention: The more females you have, the bigger the chance that one of them wont like guppies. All I gotta say.
I agree. I think the only reason my 15g worked was because every female I had in there were in with the guppies ever since they were 2 months old so they were just fine with themm..