Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-06-2010, 01:15 PM   #1 
JD3P

Having problems with very cloudy water

Okay so these are the pictures of my fish tank from about 5 minutes ago. I setup my tank with sand last night at 10:15 and I let it sit overnight. Right now it's going on it's 16th hour of settling, and I can kind of see a little better through it. I'm not worried about the tank so much as my fish and snail. They have been in a tupperware since last night. I placed them on the lid of the tank so the water stays warm at least.

Name:  DSC00718-2.jpg
Views: 92
Size:  29.8 KB

Name:  DSC00719-2.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  32.5 KB

My question is judging by the photos, is this a safe environment for my fish and snail to be placed in yet? At the rate this is going it doesn't seem like it will be completely clear for a very long time and I obviously can't keep them in a plastic tub for too long.

What should I do? Thanks.
JD3P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 03:52 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

I would start making some water only water changes back to back in the 50-75% range-being really careful when you pour the water back in so not to disturb the sand bed...it looks like cloudy water from sand that was not rinsed good and it can be really hard to rinse the stuff to start off with.....

Make sure and turn the filter off until the sand settles if you get in up in the water column so you don't damage the impeller....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 09:21 PM   #3 
JD3P

Thanks, I did that and I can see through the water much better now, although it's not completely clear. I can see a layer of sand on the top of the water surface and some particles floating in the water. Is it safe to place my fish back into the water at this point or should I let it settle overnight? I figure I'll put the filter on in a day or two depending on when it looks safe to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
I would start making some water only water changes back to back in the 50-75% range-being really careful when you pour the water back in so not to disturb the sand bed...it looks like cloudy water from sand that was not rinsed good and it can be really hard to rinse the stuff to start off with.....

Make sure and turn the filter off until the sand settles if you get in up in the water column so you don't damage the impeller....
JD3P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 07:50 AM   #4 
Oldfishlady

I would make another water change, let it settle for an hour or so and come to temp, add the filter and the fish and then stay on top of regular weekly water changes and make an extra water change with water pram readings of 0.25ppm or greater on ammonia, nitrite or if you don't have the testing product on hand make an extra 50% water only change mid week during the nitrogen cycle.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote