Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-30-2010, 11:27 AM   #1 
sayurasem

pretty injured betta

well this morning i found out that my veil jumped into my crowntail place over the night. when i woke up my veil is all strong with no wound what so ever, except my crowntail is battered up and i can see some fins on the bottom aquarium.

well i cant really look over them because i am in school computer lab as i write this post.

what kind of medicine my crowntail need? he is pretty messed up by the way he look this morning.
sayurasem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 11:44 AM   #2 
Juneii

Betta fix is supposed to heal tattered fins, you can also try aquarium salt. If you have the API Stress Coat+ water conditioner it's supposed to help heal damaged skin and fins.

How high are the dividers? Have you lowered the water level so they won't jump again?
Juneii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 11:49 AM   #3 
sayurasem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juneii View Post
Betta fix is supposed to heal tattered fins, you can also try aquarium salt. If you have the API Stress Coat+ water conditioner it's supposed to help heal damaged skin and fins.

How high are the dividers? Have you lowered the water level so they won't jump again?
dividers are high... i just put too much water...
well my 10 gal already has 5 teaspoonfull of api water conditioner.

should i put my crowntail on a seperate bowl and put new water + conditioner+ salt?
Old 11-30-2010, 12:18 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

QT and start making 100% daily water changes to prevent secondary infection and promote healing/regrowth-you should start to see new growth within a week-if the fins start to look infected I would add 1tsp/gal aquarium salt along with the 100% daily water changes.
Also, feed high protein foods in small frequent feeding-don't over feed and cause bloat-live or frozen foods are best-avoid too much freeze dried type foods
Adding tannins to the water can also be helpful with use of IAL or oak leaf-add to pre-mixed salt water to steep until it is a nice amber color and use for daily water changes

To make pre-mixed treatment water: clean 1gal jug, fill with dechlorinated water and 1tsp/gal aquarium salt and IAL or naturally dried and fallen from the tree Oak leaves (5-10) to steep making amber colored water-this will help make correct dosage and water changes easier....make sure water temp is within a couple of degrees between new and old water with water changes
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 05:31 PM   #5 
sayurasem

whats QT?
whats IAL?
is live blackworms good source protein? because thats what im feeding all my fishies.
currently im changing his water daily with some aq salt.
Old 12-07-2010, 05:56 PM   #6 
bloo97

QT is quarantine.
bloo97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 05:59 PM   #7 
Ethan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayurasem View Post
whats QT?
whats IAL?
is live blackworms good source protein? because thats what im feeding all my fishies.
currently im changing his water daily with some aq salt.
I don't know what that means either QT & IAL

regarding blackworms they are great for your bettas just make sure they don't choke on them and buy pellets because bettas like them so much they eat like gluttons and might get dropsy just advice I don't want them to die I hope this didn't offend you........
Ethan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 07:05 PM   #8 
sayurasem

my betta cant eat pellets.
got my "betta fish floating pellets" premium they cant eat it. it does look small... but after i put some in the water they got swollen big and my bettas just cant eat them.

and i like natural food than processed.
Old 12-07-2010, 09:14 PM   #9 
Miharu
Banned

I agree with everything oldfishlady said, put him in his own tank (QT = Quarentine) Do daily water changes to prevent infection, as well as some aquarium salt, and some quick cure if you can find it (I swear by that stuff)

High protein foods such as Bloodworms are a good idea, make sure the water is warm!

IAL means Indian Almost Leaves http://www.indianalmondleaves.com/

Edit to add: If you are looking for good small pellets that are great for smaller bettas and are high quality look for Hikari Betta Bio-gold pellets, or Topfin color enhancing pellets!
Miharu is offline   Reply With Quote