Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-07-2010, 12:49 AM   #1 
Tsuhei

Hand Spawning?

Alright, I'm not saying I'm gonna try this, but I was wondering about the physical possibility of doing this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=najz7...eature=related

Sorry, I know it might be kind of gross, but I find it fascinating you can hand spawn a golfish or a koi.

That being said, would it be physically possible to hand spawn a betta? I understand the eggs won't be fertilized, but say you allow the female to flirt with a male and her belly gets full of eggs. What do you guys think?
Tsuhei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 06:47 PM   #2 
bloo97

The goldfish are larger than bettas, and bettas are more..thin. So I don't think it's possible. Now a female full of eggs...maybe...but I doubt it.
You may be able to fertalize it by getting some of the male's...stuff...but that is impossible, I think.
bloo97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 07:42 PM   #3 
DormDrax

... Great now I can't eat dinner...
DormDrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 07:52 PM   #4 
bloo97

LOL Drax. There should be a waver or somethin' eh?
Old 12-07-2010, 07:54 PM   #5 
DormDrax

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloo97 View Post
LOL Drax. There should be a waver or somethin' eh?
... I'm an artist, I picture EVERYTHING in my head. So when I read that I started picturing myself with Drax... and then I snapped out of it going. "OH DEAR GOD! MENTAL TRAUMA! MENTAL TRAUMA!"
DormDrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 08:33 PM   #6 
bettalover2033

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloo97 View Post
The goldfish are larger than bettas, and bettas are more..thin. So I don't think it's possible. Now a female full of eggs...maybe...but I doubt it.
You may be able to fertalize it by getting some of the male's...stuff...but that is impossible, I think.
Well it is impossible because the male doesn't use sperm...(if thats what you are referring to as -stuff-) to fertilize the eggs. The male uses mucus which comes from the mouth of the male betta, so yes it is impossible to have a successful hand spawn. Also you would probably be lucky if you ever get eggs out of the female in the first place if you dont kill her in the process of trying. =)
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 08:52 PM   #7 
JKfish

I think that'd be impossible, or really, really hard for such a small fish. Part of the reason most goldfish are handspawned is because due to their odd body shape some tend to become eggbound and die.

I'm pretty sure males fertilize the normal way, that's the very reason why they embrace when they spawn... because the male is trying to get himself as close to the female as possible so that the chances of fertilization is greater when he releases his sperm as the female releases her eggs.

DormDrax: what you need is some mind bleach, you know the kind most people use when brainwashing... it gets all those nasty mental image stains right out XD

Last edited by JKfish; 12-07-2010 at 08:59 PM.
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 12:45 AM   #8 
MrVampire181

Yeah I think impossible....the whole spawning process of bettas is too complicated for this to work.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 07:54 AM   #9 
bloo97

Ah, yes. Sperm is what I was thinking because that's what I assume. I ain't a betta breeder! LOL
Old 12-08-2010, 11:18 AM   #10 
Oldfishlady

When a male and female Betta spawn the male wraps the female to get their vents approximated- the female releases the eggs the male releases milt and they both go into a trance like state for a mila-second-the male does not squeeze the eggs out of the female-although it looks like it...

It is thought that the milt floats and gathers in the nest area as well to fertilize eggs missed in the wrap- that is just a theory of some breeders....no scientific study that I am aware of
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote