Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-15-2010, 04:55 PM   #21 
MoePaac

I bought some of the apon bulbs on a whim. I figured I'd get one or two to sprout. Well, four (or maybe it's five?) are now sprouting and growing by the day. Looks like that back corner of the tank is going to get filled up like I wanted.

I grew them in a separate dish until I was sure they were growing. I then put them in my tank and buried about half of each bulb.

Apparently these things get huge?
MoePaac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 04:59 PM   #22 
JKfish

Yes, those things get huge and don't die unless you starve them. all six of mine sprouted (some got moldy, just wipe the mold off) and I stuck them in my 10 gallon. They're dying becuase they need more plant food, but when they were at their best, the leaves grew and grew and grew.

Oh, a good way to make sure all of them sprout: Put them all in a small bowl or cup of water and add a sprinkle of fish food. As they grow (but are still too small to go in the tank) keep adding small bits more of fish food and keep the bulbs free of mold.

Last edited by JKfish; 11-15-2010 at 05:04 PM.
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 12:56 AM   #23 
BlackLabelAxe

I bought one of those packages- one out of three bulbs sprouted into a valisneria-type plant, except that it doesn't appear to be a chain reproducer.

It adds a nice variety to the anacharis, no complaints.

-John
BlackLabelAxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 04:55 PM   #24 
bettabreeder123
Banned

well for some reason topfin's bulbs for the waterlily never grows for me and the rot all the time.

theres like only 1super sucsessful bulb for me

Last edited by dramaqueen; 11-23-2010 at 05:17 PM.
bettabreeder123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 09:42 PM   #25 
Capricorn

Sorry to be bringing up this older thread, but I thought I would mention that I sprouted my whole pack of bulbs in a separate container, and all but the onion plant have begun to sprout nicely for me.. even the lily. Make sure you read up on the plant itself, it's possible that the bulb was not supposed to be buried in gravel or the like and that's why it rotted away.
Capricorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 10:18 AM   #26 
nomoretickets

these are the bulb plants that i dropped in about 5-6 weeks ago. these are the topfin ones from petsmart. I have a pack of 8 from wallyworld that went in about 3-4 weeks ago and they still arent doing anything. i got two packs of lillys at the same time from wallyworld and they are going crazy. they are really hit and miss it seems to me. if they grow, they are going to grow like crazy. but if they dont sprout they are just gonna sit there
Attached Images

nomoretickets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 09:40 PM   #27 
JD3P

Just thought I'd give an update of the progress my betta bulbs have made.
The first two are from the betta bulb package (started about three weeks ago), and the last one is from the top fin package that came with the water lily and onion bulb (which haven't sprouted.) The last one is one of the aponogeton bulbs from the same package that finally did sprout. (Started about two weeks ago)

Name:  DSC00729.JPG
Views: 2291
Size:  45.9 KB

Name:  DSC00726.JPG
Views: 796
Size:  49.8 KB

Name:  DSC00727.JPG
Views: 609
Size:  44.7 KB

Last edited by JD3P; 12-07-2010 at 09:51 PM.
JD3P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 09:57 PM   #28 
Oldfishlady

Funny, those first two look like mondo grass a non-aquatic...but it may be the angle of the pic too-I sure hope they are not selling them as aquarium plants...but I also have never seen the onion plant or had one so maybe that is what they are....
On the last one if that is an apon bulb you may want to get it up a little more the corm can sometimes rot if planted to deep
Oldfishlady is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 10:10 PM   #29 
JD3P

I think it might just be the angle but I'm sure I'll find out soon if they are true aquatic plants or not. They ones I posted the pics of aren't onion, I have an onion bulb on the other side of the tank which hasn't sprouted yet. It looks like an actual onion lol. So I'm also not quite sure what these new plants are yet. And thanks for letting me know, I'll lift the last bulb out of the sand a little more until it sprouts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
Funny, those first two look like mondo grass a non-aquatic...but it may be the angle of the pic too-I sure hope they are not selling them as aquarium plants...but I also have never seen the onion plant or had one so maybe that is what they are....
On the last one if that is an apon bulb you may want to get it up a little more the corm can sometimes rot if planted to deep
JD3P is offline   Reply With Quote