Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-08-2010, 10:10 AM   #11 
danifacetastic

I agree that when you're getting a betta from a pet store you really aren't 'saving it' since you're supporting the business but you can make a difference by writing letters and complaining. But some people can't afford to get on aquabid and buy these fancy bred bettas...
danifacetastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 03:22 PM   #12 
Tsuhei

I agree with not buying a betta from Walmart. It does save that fish, but think about the many more that take its place.

In fact, I don't support Walmart's fish section at all! I just went to one next to my college (about 30 minutes ago), and I was appalled at what I saw!

Warning: These images are really disturbing

http://img822.imageshack.us/img822/2981/1208101243.jpg
http://img97.imageshack.us/img97/3575/1208101244.jpg

Picture one: Yes, that's some sort of fungus. It's black. I don't know what it is, but something that big can't just grow overnight.

Picture two: I'm pretty sure those fish aren't supposed to be green...and I'm sure they're supposed to be breathing too.

The rest of the tanks had algae and dead crabs. The betta fish weren't doing so well either...dirty cups..and the water odor smelled foul. I actually gagged walking by the sink.

If you don't buy certain products at a large chain store like Walmart or Petco/Petsmart, then they usually order less and less stock or stop buying the product all together because they lose money on it. The less fish you buy, the less fish they order to torture.
Tsuhei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 04:08 PM   #13 
Miharu
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrVampire181 View Post
Interesting Miharu...so really the whole by buying a fish you're contributing to the problem should be dismissed.
I think in a way yes. Big stores like that don't want to lose money, they don't want to give items away for free, because then they are losing money, if a fish dies they don't lose money, they are compensated and given back whatever they spent on that fish.

If a fish dies on the shelf, it makes room for another fish, just like it would if you bought the fish, and the store doesn't suffer so because they're not losing money so they don't care if the fish dies. I don't think you're contributing to the problem by buying the fish, but I also don't think you can call it a rescue unless you get the betta for free, I hope that makes sense! haha
Miharu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 06:35 PM   #14 
Blaxicanlatino

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsuhei View Post
I agree with not buying a betta from Walmart. It does save that fish, but think about the many more that take its place.

In fact, I don't support Walmart's fish section at all! I just went to one next to my college (about 30 minutes ago), and I was appalled at what I saw!

Warning: These images are really disturbing

http://img822.imageshack.us/img822/2981/1208101243.jpg
http://img97.imageshack.us/img97/3575/1208101244.jpg

Picture one: Yes, that's some sort of fungus. It's black. I don't know what it is, but something that big can't just grow overnight.

Picture two: I'm pretty sure those fish aren't supposed to be green...and I'm sure they're supposed to be breathing too.

The rest of the tanks had algae and dead crabs. The betta fish weren't doing so well either...dirty cups..and the water odor smelled foul. I actually gagged walking by the sink.

If you don't buy certain products at a large chain store like Walmart or Petco/Petsmart, then they usually order less and less stock or stop buying the product all together because they lose money on it. The less fish you buy, the less fish they order to torture.
thats horrible!! there was a petstore that just opened up near me (forgot the name of it) and after a week or 2, some tanks had 2 inches of white mush above the substrate. mold? fungus? not sure. dead fish? everwhere. i complained. but didnt workout since the manager ***** a sleeveless undershirt and covered with tattoos. had to go to the register person, who I also had to hunt down, to ask who was the manager!!! He just shrugged 0_0 im like?!?! ?!0_0?! WHA?!!! i came back the next daywith my camera and took pics of the tanks. He was very upset and demanded to know why i was taking pics, even tried to snatch the camera from me. I said Oh youll find out soon enough. I did nothing however... but after 2 or so weeks, they closed down...

Last edited by Blaxicanlatino; 12-08-2010 at 06:39 PM.
Blaxicanlatino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 09:28 PM   #15 
hailukah

I'm rather impressed with the Wal-marts in my area. I went to one recently and stopped by the fish tanks and all of the tanks were empty. We tracked down the pet associate and he said they had to remove all of their fish because of issues with their water hardness. He said he didn't know if/when they would start carrying fish again.

It's good to see that they would forgo sales when faced with unhealthy tanks.
hailukah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 09:49 PM   #16 
Blaxicanlatino

Quote:
Originally Posted by hailukah View Post
I'm rather impressed with the Wal-marts in my area. I went to one recently and stopped by the fish tanks and all of the tanks were empty. We tracked down the pet associate and he said they had to remove all of their fish because of issues with their water hardness. He said he didn't know if/when they would start carrying fish again.

that is good to hear 0_0
Blaxicanlatino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 09:53 PM   #17 
nomoretickets

i dont have a problem with bettas in cups so long as they are maintained. i understand it is impossible to keep store bettas in the appropriate tanks because it is far to expensive and impractical. my objection to walmart and similar stores treatment of the fish is not the size of the cups, but the lack of maintainence of said cups.
nomoretickets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 09:59 PM   #18 
baylee767

Quote:
Originally Posted by hailukah View Post

I feel so stuipid but what exactly is water hardness? 0_0
baylee767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 11:26 PM   #19 
celine18

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomoretickets View Post
i dont have a problem with bettas in cups so long as they are maintained. i understand it is impossible to keep store bettas in the appropriate tanks because it is far to expensive and impractical. my objection to walmart and similar stores treatment of the fish is not the size of the cups, but the lack of maintainence of said cups.
i agree! i think of cups as a holding place until bettas can find their new, nice home. i know, not all people will take good care of their bettas, but i like to think they do. but when i go to a store, and the water quality is bad, it's wrong, because technically, that is a product, and stores are supposed to maintain the quality of their products. by allowing the bettas to get to such a horrible point is extreeemely irresponsible, by the fish care-taker, and the management, who should be making sure that their employees are taking care of their responsibilities that they are being paid to do.

oh! on a nicer note, one of my local walmartshas officially stopped selling bettas!!! (sadly, this isn't the one where soda had been poured into the cup, i think that one's still selling them....)
celine18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 12:54 AM   #20 
BettaGirl290

My petco isnt that bad, i found a gold betta there once, i begged my dad but he said no. :(
BettaGirl290 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
petco walmart fish store