Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-08-2010, 06:07 PM   #1 
Miharu
Banned

This really made my blood boil!!

So I was in a local walmart shopping for wrapping paper and such, and decided to check out the bettas. I'm going to be setting up a sorority soon, and wanted to see what type of females they had in stock, even though I really never buy my fish from there.

Anyway I was looking at the fish (there were only 6 bettas there, 4 vt females and 2 vt males) when a guy came over to talk to the employee who was also in the aisle. I overheard the man asking how many bettas they usually get in in a shipment, the employee told him anywhere from 20 - 30, but they only get shipments in 2x a month. The man then asked when the next shipment was, the employee told him the next shipment would be in on Friday.

The man then proceeded to explain that his brother was getting married soon and they wanted live bettas as center pieces on all of the tables. He was looking to come in the day the new bettas came in and pick out "15 of the nicest ones available" He also said he only wants the pretty ones with the long tails (males), not the little ugly ones with the sort tails (females)

The employee asked the man what would happen to the bettas once the wedding was over, and the man said that whoever wanted one could have one, and the ones that no one wanted would probably get dumped into the pond behind his house... Seriously????

Then before the employee could say anything the man thanked him for all his help, said he would be back on friday, and walked away...

I couldn't believe it, that is just sickening... Bettas are not decorations, and they are certainly not able to live in a pond!!! Omg!!!
Miharu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 06:58 PM   #2 
anglnarnld

I would interupted their conversation or at least say something to save those poor bettas from going into that nasty disgusting pond!!
anglnarnld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 07:15 PM   #3 
Miharu
Banned

Believe me I wanted to!! And I wish I had! But that man was a bit scary and really didnt give me a chance...
Miharu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 07:19 PM   #4 
anglnarnld

Oh well at least you thought about it ;))
anglnarnld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 10:29 PM   #5 
baylee767

Well they COULD live in a pond, but it would be VERY hard to setup a pond a Betta could live in. It's obvious from the guys arrogance that he couldn't handle owning a Betta pond. ESPECIALLY if it's in a cold place!
baylee767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 11:19 PM   #6 
TaylorW

Ugh, that's just sickening, using live animals as decor, and then dumping them when the party is over >:(

That's so selfish and immoral to regard any kind of living creature as a mere object. Life is something that is special and beautiful, and any creature that posses the gift of life deserves at least a tiny amount of respect.

Unfortunately, this will probably be one of those overly expensive weddings that has a higher chance of not ending well if they are going through all this trouble just for simple centerpieces... Lives wasted for nothing :(
TaylorW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 11:55 PM   #7 
tsoto80

When I first got Red I was searching the internet for different pics of bettas. I came across this one blog someone posted that had their wedding pictures with bettas as center peices. Got to admit they do make beautiful centerpieces (who can argue that they are not beautiful) but, BIG BUT, they are not ornaments!! They are living animals with a beating heart and a beautiful soul. Aparently this trend for weddings is a common theme now days. Oh and btw the pictures I seen had them in vases. :(
tsoto80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 05:08 AM   #8 
LikeDiscoSuperfly

It is cruel... someone here got a betta that way, from a wedding. =X
I could never do that. why do people not see that as wrong?!
LikeDiscoSuperfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 06:04 AM   #9 
demonicangel132007

I was going to start a thread about "betta wedding decorations" but didn't know if it had already been discussed.

Like tsoto80, I was googling betta pictures and found a centerpiece with a betta in it, it went to a blog that mentioned it as an alternative for the original poster's GORGEOUS centerpiece she was asking opinions for...if that made any sense at all.

I wonder if they would use any other animal as a decorative piece. Like...teacup Chihuahuas in actual teacups for a fancy schmancy tea party. (Sorry my mind is strange at times).

But if the guy does follow through with this (which I'm sure he will unless something happens and the fish do not arrive like they are suppose to) that each betta goes to a good home instead of being dumped in a pond to die.
demonicangel132007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 06:35 AM   #10 
bloo97

Disgusting. I just hate goody two shoes people who think they can stuff bettas into a pond or in a freaking centerpiece. D:
bloo97 is offline   Reply With Quote