Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-07-2010, 06:10 PM   #1 
battyazac

Moving fish from a 2.5 gal to 10 gal divided, questions

Hello. I just found this forum. Hello everyone!
I have a question for you guys.
I am in the process of setting up a 10 gallon divided filtered and heated tank for my bettas (my boyfriend is very talented at tank set-ups) that have each been in their own 2.5 gallon unfiltered tanks.
The tank is ready to go and I am adding water and water conditioner today, but I am not sure how to go about cycling it as I am used to unfiltered tanks with water changes. I will be adding some plastic plants and gravel and partial water from my other tanks so I know that will get some good bacteria in there, but what other steps should I take and how long should I wait to add my fishies. They are fine in the smaller tanks for now so time isn't a huge issue, although i'd like to move them as soon as possible due to the fact the smaller tanks are not heated and its going to get colder here in texas soon and running the heater on high in my house is not cutting it.
Any help is greatly appreciated.

-Tracy
battyazac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 09:03 AM   #2 
danifacetastic

I didn't cycle my tank when I put my boys in and it's been fine. I have a 10 gallon divided 3 ways and I just waited until the water in the tank was the same that was in their cups and put them in (the day I bought the tank I got 1 new betta and the other 2 were in 1 gallon tanks). It's been wonderful and the boys have loved it. I do a 50% water change once a week and vacumn the gravel. So far my ammonia meter hasn't detected any ammonia though I know it works because when I put it over an ammonia bottle it turned colors immedietly. I know cycling is better or whatever but I just didn't understand it and many people say you can 'cycle' with the fish in there but I haven't had any problems at all and my fish seem happier than ever.
danifacetastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 03:35 PM   #3 
small fry

Welcome to the Forum!

It isn't a great idea to cycle a tank w/ bettas, if that is what is being suggested. I did it when I was a beginer, though. No problems, but much later my betta got a severe fungal infection.

If you are going to cycle the tank with bettas, use a product made by SeaChem labs called "Stability". It is live bacteria in a bottle and it will help tremendosly with your cycle! Hope this helps!

(danifacetastic, what kind of meter do you have? Mine will show 0ppm when the water is at .4ppm, mine isn't very accurate!)

Last edited by small fry; 12-08-2010 at 03:37 PM.
small fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 03:36 PM   #4 
Alex09

I cycled my tank with a betta. He did fine. Just make sure to do adequate water changes while cycling. Testing your water will help determine how often to change your water.
Alex09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 11:47 PM   #5 
battyazac

Thanks everyone for the replies, I put my little guy in today. I'm monitoring the levels, doing frequent water changes, and the little guys love their new homes! Will post pics when everyone is acclimated.
battyazac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 12:00 AM   #6 
scootshoot

Just don't overfeed your betta in the tank that is being cycled and it will be just fine.

Welcome to the forums!
scootshoot is offline   Reply With Quote