Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-11-2010, 06:12 PM   #1 
Jaaamiiieee

Exclamation my new betta fish looks sick

hi everybody!

Today I bought a new betta, i choose the onde that looked more healthy, but a couple hours ago i noticed that he stays floating almost like a dead fish, but then he swims normally. this is my second betta, so i don't have much experience. i'm a little worried, it doesn't seems a normal behaviour...
is he sick?
Jaaamiiieee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 06:23 PM   #2 
Sweeda88

Unless he's on his side, there is no reason to worry. Bettas rest for periods of time, and they are motionless when they do this. If he's swimming normally, there shouldn't be a problem. Also Bettas DO sleep, so if he looks healthy, he probably is.
Sweeda88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 06:37 PM   #3 
Jaaamiiieee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweeda88 View Post
Unless he's on his side, there is no reason to worry. Bettas rest for periods of time, and they are motionless when they do this. If he's swimming normally, there shouldn't be a problem. Also Bettas DO sleep, so if he looks healthy, he probably is.
He is not on his side but he is kind of "crooked", and the guy from the store said that the fish doesn't need heating but the water is kind of cold, and it seems that he can't go to the bottom of the aquarium and the other one would swim freely and nicely but this one don't...
Old 12-11-2010, 06:41 PM   #4 
Sweeda88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaaamiiieee View Post
He is not on his side but he is kind of "crooked", and the guy from the store said that the fish doesn't need heating but the water is kind of cold, and it seems that he can't go to the bottom of the aquarium and the other one would swim freely and nicely but this one don't...
Bettas DO need heating. They are tropical fish. It's a common misconception that they can live in cold water. He will be so much happier if you get a heater. A lot of pet store employees have no idea what they're talking about. ANYONE on this site could tell you you need a heater. I suggest getting one as soon as possible. A good temperature for a Betta is around 78 degrees Fahrenheit. Don't forget to get a heater. You should see an improvement in your fish.
Old 12-11-2010, 06:59 PM   #5 
Jaaamiiieee

Quote:
Bettas DO need heating. They are tropical fish. It's a common misconception that they can live in cold water. He will be so much happier if you get a heater. A lot of pet store employees have no idea what they're talking about. ANYONE on this site could tell you you need a heater. I suggest getting one as soon as possible. A good temperature for a Betta is around 78 degrees Fahrenheit. Don't forget to get a heater. You should see an improvement in your fish.
i'll buy a heater tomorrow then. thank you very much!
Old 12-11-2010, 07:04 PM   #6 
Sweeda88

You're welcome! Make sure you get one made for your size tank. Otherwise you might end up cooking your fish. Walmart makes one for 2-15 gallons. It's around $15. Don't forget your thermometer! =)
Old 12-11-2010, 07:25 PM   #7 
Jaaamiiieee

Quote:
You're welcome! Make sure you get one made for your size tank. Otherwise you might end up cooking your fish. Walmart makes one for 2-15 gallons. It's around $15. Don't forget your thermometer! =)
ok ok, thanks.

I bought me a betta kit in the same store because my first beta passed away last weekend, he was in a bowl aquarium with a water pump and I was cleaning it like every 3 days or so and I gave him appropriate betta food... for what I understood it was all wrong but he had a great live because e was in those conditions for more than 7 months, but winter came and he did not make it.
Right now, this new one is in that new beta kit that I have, It also brought Nutrafin Betta plus for the water and Nutrafin Max as food, the aquarium has some kind of fixture for lightbulb, is that enough for heating or should I buy one of those heating mattresses to put underneath the terrariums?
Old 12-11-2010, 07:47 PM   #8 
Sweeda88

Ok, first of all, Bettas should never be kept in those tiny Betta kits. It's a myth that they live in puddles. They live in shallow water, but the amount of space they swim in is huge. I suggest getting a bigger tank. Don't feel bad. Up until this year, I believed that too. I suggest getting a 2 gallon tank kit of some kind, and a heater. Also, a terrarium heater pad is only meant to warm the gravel so that a reptile can warm itself on it. You need a real aquarium heater. You can get a 2 gallon kit at walmart for around $20 or $25. They also sell them at Petco and PetSmart. I just want your Betta to be as happy as possible. Bettas live longer in bigger, heated tanks.
Old 12-11-2010, 07:54 PM   #9 
Jaaamiiieee

Quote:
Ok, first of all, Bettas should never be kept in those tiny Betta kits. It's a myth that they live in puddles. They live in shallow water, but the amount of space they swim in is huge. I suggest getting a bigger tank. Don't feel bad. Up until this year, I believed that too. I suggest getting a 2 gallon tank kit of some kind, and a heater. Also, a terrarium heater pad is only meant to warm the gravel so that a reptile can warm itself on it. You need a real aquarium heater. You can get a 2 gallon kit at walmart for around $20 or $25. They also sell them at Petco and PetSmart. I just want your Betta to be as happy as possible. Bettas live longer in bigger, heated tanks.
i want, and i will give the best conditions i can to my beautiful betta. so tomorrow i'll buy those stuff. thank you, you saved my betta
Old 12-11-2010, 07:57 PM   #10 
Sweeda88

You're welcome! Oh, and make sure you monitor the temperature closely. You don't want the heat to go above 82 degrees.