Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-11-2010, 09:46 AM   #1 
BuddahBoy

Question Bubblenest???

This is my first time breeding these wonderful fishes...and I am having some problems I have followed every "good" rule in the book! Researched for months bought great fish!!! But still no bubble nest with 2 different breeders? I have a new pair I am trying now and it looks as though he has made a little bubble nest (about the size of a quarter) but that is it is has been 3 days. I have already taken the female out and put her back and put another betta and mirror up to the tank? I am not sure what else to do...I tried a couple weeks ago with another betta but he did not make a nest at all and showed no interest in the female so I thought he was too old....but this new male maybe too young? I dunno? Any tips would be wonderful!!! amber
BuddahBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 10:39 AM   #2 
Oldfishlady

How long did you condition, what kind of food did you use, how did you house the pair while you conditioned, water temp, water changes...etc.....

How is you spawning tank set up, size, filtration, live plants...etc....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 10:46 AM   #3 
kholder

I have never had a bubblenest (with three different males) in my filetered 10 gal. One made impressive nests in his 1.5 gal. unfiltered, and the other did the best he could (looked like someone spit in the bowl) in a 2 gal. My new young guy has not been in anything but the 10 gal. since his arrival and I have seen no attempts at a nest. I'm not interested in breeding. However, I've always seen the nests as a nice little reward.
kholder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 02:39 PM   #4 
BuddahBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
How long did you condition, what kind of food did you use, how did you house the pair while you conditioned, water temp, water changes...etc.....

How is you spawning tank set up, size, filtration, live plants...etc....
I am currently conditioning and it has been 4 days since the female has been in her chimney...i am feeding bloodworms and betta pelets....water temp is about 84..i have saran wrap on top....i syphon the water daliey and have a sponge filter....its a 10 gal tank water about 3" almond leaf on top silk plants on bottom... I don't know what else to do?
Old 12-11-2010, 04:34 PM   #5 
Oldfishlady

I would turn off the filter for one-less water movement the better when you get them ready to spawn...but first I would move both fish to separate containers so they can't see each other for 4-5 days and mass feed several times a day with either live or frozen food-not freeze dried.....but not so much that they bloat and keep up on the daily water changes lowering their water temp to 78F and keeping the spawning tank in the 80F range and then try again...

I would even add more IAL to the spawning tank to increase the tannins-keeping the filter on until you add the pair and then turn it off and if you have live plants I would cram it full except for the area that you want the nest.
Old 12-11-2010, 08:35 PM   #6 
BuddahBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
I would turn off the filter for one-less water movement the better when you get them ready to spawn...but first I would move both fish to separate containers so they can't see each other for 4-5 days and mass feed several times a day with either live or frozen food-not freeze dried.....but not so much that they bloat and keep up on the daily water changes lowering their water temp to 78F and keeping the spawning tank in the 80F range and then try again...

I would even add more IAL to the spawning tank to increase the tannins-keeping the filter on until you add the pair and then turn it off and if you have live plants I would cram it full except for the area that you want the nest.
Ok thank you very much! I will try that..if it does not work and he still does not make a big bubble nest...or even a bubble nest but the female is plump full of eggs and is ready should I try it...or should I always wait for a bubble nest to appear before letting the female go? Thank you again! amber
Old 12-11-2010, 08:57 PM   #7 
Oldfishlady

You don't always have to wait on a bubble nest if both are showing readiness-the male dancing, flirting, trying to lead the female etc...female head down and following...some males will wait until eggs are dropped before making a nest and encapsulating the eggs and letting them float until spawning is completed-however, I think if you condition them correctly and provide the proper setup that he will build a nest and spawn...good luck...