Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-12-2010, 09:48 PM   #11 
vaygirl

Pffft. Put it out of your mind. You know yourself. They don't know you. :) The world is full of grumpy people. You have to smile at them and go on your way. You're a good betta keeper.
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 10:07 PM   #12 
baylee767

I really don't get why any one would say that. I think it might be one of those people who are constantly cussing and stuff on Betta youtube videos, but I can't ever be sure. If they are just going to say things like that why even visit the website? /=
baylee767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 10:08 PM   #13 
Sweeda88

Don't listen to them. I think it's amazing that you wanted to try, especially being in school and being so young! Most kids are so self centered at that age, but you've shown a caring, useful interest outside of your own needs that most kids wouldn't even think of. Also, I think it's awesome that you're such a great breeder. That's really cool. Just keep doing what you're doing, and don't let the haters stop you! =D
Sweeda88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 10:15 PM   #14 
sjones

This is an interesting point though, I myself do not condone breeding of any animals, since there are always adoptions and I believe it's in the US every 6 seconds a cat or dog is euthanized. Who know how it is with fish. There is an entire industry around it and probably millions of betta fish rotting to death in cups in petstores everywhere. WHich is how I ended up with my guys. I love them personally. But If i had the choice between having them as pets and not having betta fish kept as pets at all(and the abuse and exploitation that comes along with the commodification of a living creature) I would most certainly choose the later.
The fact that the comment disturbed you at all shows you understand this and have compassion. I think it's important to look at it from the larger perspective though.
sjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 10:31 PM   #15 
MrVampire181

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjones View Post
This is an interesting point though, I myself do not condone breeding of any animals, since there are always adoptions and I believe it's in the US every 6 seconds a cat or dog is euthanized. Who know how it is with fish. There is an entire industry around it and probably millions of betta fish rotting to death in cups in petstores everywhere. WHich is how I ended up with my guys. I love them personally. But If i had the choice between having them as pets and not having betta fish kept as pets at all(and the abuse and exploitation that comes along with the commodification of a living creature) I would most certainly choose the later.
The fact that the comment disturbed you at all shows you understand this and have compassion. I think it's important to look at it from the larger perspective though.
As long as breeding is responsible there is nothing wrong with it....IMO.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 10:36 PM   #16 
FuulieQ

Don't worry about it - nothing ventured, nothing gained, and ventures don't always turn out to be successes. They've got a thick something stuck somewhere that shouldn't be clogged.
FuulieQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 12:35 AM   #17 
dramaqueen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuulieQ View Post
Don't worry about it - nothing ventured, nothing gained, and ventures don't always turn out to be successes. They've got a thick something stuck somewhere that shouldn't be clogged.
That's a good way to put it. lol
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 09:43 AM   #18 
Oldfishlady

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjones View Post
The sad truth of breeding fish is that with some species the natural habitat may be gone/destroyed by man, invaded by released species that out compete them, and/or pollution...if not for hobbyist many of the species would be no longer and you would only have a picture to remember them...granted the Betta splendens is a man made fish and its natural habitat is our aquarium-but its wild cousin could one day be threatened like many other native species that can only be found in aquariums today and hopefully responsible breeders will continue their efforts in keeping them alive......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 11:42 AM   #19 
TaylorW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
The sad truth of breeding fish is that with some species the natural habitat may be gone/destroyed by man, invaded by released species that out compete them, and/or pollution...if not for hobbyist many of the species would be no longer and you would only have a picture to remember them...granted the Betta splendens is a man made fish and its natural habitat is our aquarium-but its wild cousin could one day be threatened like many other native species that can only be found in aquariums today and hopefully responsible breeders will continue their efforts in keeping them alive......
I remember hearing about this! There are a lot of species of animals that have gone completely extinct in the wild, and the only remaining specimens are our pets or are in zoos. The majority of these animals are fish, because tropical fish breeders have kept them alive.

A good example of this is the Red-tailed black shark that we keep in our aquariums. The Red Tail also comes from Thailand, like our bettas, and has completely gone extinct there.

@Mr.V, I know you take great care of your fish, you do all the frequent water changes, give them the best food, and are planning on making a nice filter system for all of your jarred fish! Your fish receive all the best necessary care, and money doesn't just grow on trees... Like you can afford to pamper 50+ fish that you'll be selling to a good home anyways... Don't let people get you down, you're doing a great job! :)
TaylorW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 12:43 PM   #20 
LikeDiscoSuperfly

I agree with everyone else here, ignore them! we all know you are great at keeping/raising/breeding fish, and know a lot more about it than many others do. =]
LikeDiscoSuperfly is offline   Reply With Quote