Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-11-2010, 01:55 AM   #1 
michaelg210

tank crashed.......

bio filter crashed, ammonia has been spiking, since my bio bac was gone upgraded to a better filter, using now a Marineland Penguin 100 filter w/ bio wheel. Ran both filters concurrently for several days, then switched out to the Penguin w/ bio-wheel and added also a Marineland Duetto DJ 50 internal filter to suppliment filtration.

Duetto mini filter is running at 50 percent filtration capacity on the bottom of the tank.

Hoping this will help with some of the debris not being sucked up on the bottom.

Ammonia has been rather high, .50 and up to 1.0 ppm. Have been trying to leave the tank alone, and using Ammo Lock from API. However, I can't resist changing out about 25% of the water every 2 or 3 days, due to ammonia.

No sign of nitrItes yet, NitrAtes at 5- 11 ppm most of the time, depending upon water changes.

Have not gravel vac-ed for about 5 days, so will do a thorough gravel vac tomorrow, which means probably closer to 40 - 50 percent pwc. Did a 25% pwc this am....

Am I on the right track here?

10G tank, 1 male betta, one mini (dwarf) bristle nose pleco, controllable heater at 79, one small piece bog wood (only natural decoration), live plants: 1 crypt, 1 anubia, and 2 java ferns.

Tank water always the same, mixed in a 5 gallon bucket, 70% Tap / 30% R/O, 2.5 ML Kent Marine R/O Right, 2.5 ml Ammo Lock, 2.0 ML tetra liquid plant nutrition, 10 drops Seachem Prime Declorinator.....
michaelg210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 10:52 AM   #2 
Oldfishlady

How long has the tank been running

What kind of testing product are you using

How is the fish acting

With use of prime and ammo lock most likely what you are seeing is ammonium and harmless-testing products can't tell the difference between ammonia and ammonium

Have you tested your source water for ammonia
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 01:02 AM   #3 
michaelg210

Lightbulb @ OldFishLady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
How long has the tank been running

5 -6 months
Quote:
What kind of testing product are you using

API Freshwater Master Test Kit
Quote:
How is the fish acting

Fish are acting fine
Quote:
With use of prime and ammo lock most likely what you are seeing is ammonium and harmless-testing products can't tell the difference between ammonia and ammonium

Good point, but how do I know which? Should I quit using Ammo Lock? I have not had that problem (high Ammonia) when using Prime only.
That might make sense, as tonight I tested and got some confusing results:
Ammonia .50 / NitrItes, 0 (zero?) / NitrAtes 30 ppm……….. you might have something there.
Quote:
Have you tested your source water for ammonia

Not for some time, but it was low, zero or close to, however source water test for nitrAtes at 5 – 10. I was thinking maybe NitrAtes were consuming NitrItes before nitrites could consume ammonia due to tap nitrAtes present in tap water and NitrItes did not have a chance to proliferate to handle the ammonia….
So what do you suggest then?

Last edited by michaelg210; 12-13-2010 at 01:13 AM.
Old 12-13-2010, 01:29 AM   #4 
michaelg210

here are some pics before i changed out filtration
Attached Images

Old 12-13-2010, 09:57 AM   #5 
Oldfishlady

I don't think you need both ammonia-lock and prime
One way to tell if the ammonia is ammonium is by the fish behavior and health
Starting with nitrate at low levels are usually not too much of a problem, however, adding some floating plant can help-like water lettuce, frogbit, hornwort along with weekly 50% water changes and vacuum in areas that can be reached without moving anything or disruption of plant roots as well as a swish/rinse of the filter media in old tank water with a water change a couple of times a month

I am sure you are aware of this already and have plans to re-home the pleco once he out grows the tank...and he will in about a year or less....a good replacement species especially in a planted mature 10g tank would be 4-5 ottos...... your tanks looks really nice by the way.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote