Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-12-2010, 10:05 AM   #1 
fav74

14 Gallon ?'s

I bought a 14 gallon Aqueoon kit that Petco had on sale and I originally had every intention of dividing it. But after opening the box and looking at it I am not sure about dividing it. If i was to split it it would leave two rather small footprints just around 105 square inches, 10"x10.5", I am guessing this is what is called a Tall aquarium at 16.5" tall. If i don't divide it i would like to something else besides one Betta in it. I am actually fascinated or obsessed with live plants and would like to try some carpeting plants and work through the group until i get to the background plants, I am aware of the different lighting needs and nutritional needs of the plants i am looking at. I plan on some type of shrimp and maybe an African Dwarf Frog not real sure at the moment. The real question I have here is the compatibility with the Albino Cory I think these look neat and would like to put a couple of them in the aquarium. If you guys have any additional ideas please let me know. I am in not in any rush to set this one up.
fav74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 04:33 PM   #2 
bettafish15

You could add about 3-5 albino cories in there. Maybe more, I'm not an expert xD Neon tetras work well too. If you get ADF's, remember to get more than one as a hear they like groups. :) I have a 14 gallon too thats home to a betta and 2 neon tetras. (Had 6 neons, but they all slowly died off, I believe I got a bad batch from the store. Keep in mind neons are sensitive.)
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 07:30 PM   #3 
crowntail lover

I am in LOVE with Cories. These little fish are amazing with my Bettas... If you are thinking of getting some than you should get atleast 5 (they do better in groups). Be sure to add a lot of plants and hiding places as well.
They eat any-->left over<-- food you feed your Betta as well as Algea Waffers.
And remember... Some Bettas just cant be housed with other fish.. So make sure to keep a eye out when you are adding these guys in with your Betta. :]
crowntail lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 08:06 PM   #4 
bettafish15

Oh, and in my experience, taking the betta out of the tank and rearranging a couple things, THEN adding the new fish, helps alot in terms of any aggression your betta might have towards any newcomers.
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 01:34 AM   #5 
wallywestisthebest333

Or you could get the tankmates first have them in there for a week or so then introduce your betta to the tank. =] He'll be less likely to be aggressive if there's already fish in the tank. At least that's what I've heard. =]

Be careful with shrimp and adfs as they like to adventure sometimes. You'll want a lid that's really secure. and extra space around the filter or cables should be saran-wrapped or otherwise secured. =]

I like the corrie idea best though! <3 Corries are SO cute! Wish I had a tank big enough for tankmates! <3

So what plants are you planning on using? :D Or is it a surprise? =] Either way I'm excited about the pics of your future set-up! =]

Good luck! =]
wallywestisthebest333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 02:45 PM   #6 
crowntail lover

I do agree, taking your Betta out before adding the Cories will help with the aggression
crowntail lover is offline   Reply With Quote