Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-14-2010, 04:00 PM   #11 
pretzelsz

I have a 20 gallon long lying around that I can use as a QT. He right now is in a 20 gallon long cut off in the middle separating him from some other fish. should I clean it our put in some sand that is probably cycled and some plants(a sword and a tiny bit of java without the algae)?

I turned off the lights but I can't reach him and idk if he can get to the surface but if I put my hand in he will rip his eye out for sure. I really don't know what to do. I also have a 2 gallon cylinder tank that I had him in originally. I also have the salt.
pretzelsz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 04:05 PM   #12 
Perdue

a missing eye is better than dead.. give it a try..
Perdue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 04:17 PM   #13 
DormDrax

Wow this was like reading an 'On Star' report hahaha...

Hopefully he'll pull through! Betta's are hardy fish! Long as you provide the care they should pull through if they are otherwise healthy.

(Why I'm already providing advice? Check out my posts about how much I've learned, and what my Drax has been through in just a few short weeks, and still going through but we are both still alive and thriving haha)

I think Drax is blind in his right eye (The one that seems to always get a mild Popeye) and he seems fine with just one. Why I think he's blind in that eye? His left eye is crystal clear his right looks scaled over.

If I were you just contain him and just... let him be able to breath, warm him up, salt the water, and just..... give him space. If the eye is lost.... it may not I thought Drax's was going to fall out but it didn't. So have faith!
DormDrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 04:22 PM   #14 
rooroober

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perdue View Post
a missing eye is better than dead.. give it a try..
agreed!
rooroober is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 04:23 PM   #15 
vaygirl

I agree. He'll drown if you don't get him out of there. If you keep trying and getting him flailing around without getting him out of there he's just using what little oxygen he has left. You have to get him to the surface somehow.

Is he still wrapped up in the plant? Is there any way to get the whole plant out with him in it and into a shallow container that you can float in the tank? Then you could slowly work on getting him free, like OFL suggested and he might be able to get air himself? Or you could hold the plant up to help him.
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 04:30 PM   #16 
pretzelsz

OK I got him up to get air. but his eye got dull and looks badly hurt so I think I might end up having a pirate fish. I don't have the cup anymore so I will need to set up a new tank. So 2 gallon or 20 gallon?

also I just realized the algae looks like it glued his fin to his body. I think I'll clean and set up my 20 gallon tank quickly but not rushed.
Old 12-14-2010, 04:34 PM   #17 
Oldfishlady

You really need to get him out of the tank and into QT-use both hands, net something and get him dislodged-use your fingers and pinch the plant away from the base plant-if he doesn't get to the surface soon he will die-

Edit......
Use the 2g half full-no filter-no light add 1tsp/gal aquarium salt-temp 76-77F-figure out some way to either cut or pinch the algae away from the fish body

Last edited by Oldfishlady; 12-14-2010 at 04:37 PM.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 04:35 PM   #18 
DormDrax

Quote:
Originally Posted by pretzelsz View Post
OK I got him up to get air. but his eye got dull and looks badly hurt so I think I might end up having a pirate fish. I don't have the cup anymore so I will need to set up a new tank. So 2 gallon or 20 gallon?

also I just realized the algae looks like it glued his fin to his body. I think I'll clean and set up my 20 gallon tank quickly but not rushed.
Drax's eye is the same probably an injury he got when he was at the EVIL petsmart. and he's fine so don't worry.

Just keep his water clean, salted and warm, I'm sure he just needs a few hours to calm down now haha.
DormDrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 04:48 PM   #19 
pretzelsz

should I put in an airstone?
You said the algae was due to not enough CO2 and the split tank has a bubbler on one side and has none of the algae
Old 12-14-2010, 04:58 PM   #20 
Oldfishlady

Low CO2 can sometimes be a reason not the only reason for hair or thread algae-old light bulbs too much light, not enough light, wrong kelvin, poor penetration and/or not enough/wrong nutrients are also some reasons..out of balance in some way....although algae is normal in a container of water and expected..it still has to be controlled in a closed system so it doesn't become problematic-algae can be limited with proper balance

Use of airstone or a lot of splashing can remove the CO2 from the water

How is your Betta doing......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote