Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-14-2010, 02:18 PM   #11 
TaylorW

This is such an interesting thread! And it's nice because these fish get a chance to be "wild" and act like they would in nature.
TaylorW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 04:52 PM   #12 
MrVampire181

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by indjo View Post
For all natural outdoor, I suggest setting up tanks once winter is over, give it about a month (longer better) to age and have tiny critters in them, then condition breeding pair.

MrV; is air that dry? ... I was going to suggest some sort of large mesh (?) covers instead of solid lids - avoid larger critters getting into the tanks, like dragonflies, frogs etc.
Thanks for the tips! Yes where I live I'm a mile above sea level and our humid isn't really humid at all....My favorite vacation place, Cozumel Mexico, is a betta breeders paradise...it rains for a few minuets a day...is always around 80F and HUMID! I made the mistake of wearing jeans the morning I left the island...ya not good :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
That method worked well for me last summer-I use 5g buckets full of rainwater, oak leaves and let the mosquito and other aquatic critters lay eggs and develop in them first...I added 2 females for a couple of days to fill up on larva and then I add the male and some water lettuce and other plants from my tanks that I had just trimmed and had a spawn within a few min the females demanded that the male spawn with them the second he was added...he didn't seem to complain...lol...... I had a nest and eggs nearly daily after that-no injuries or ripped fins-limited fry eaten by the adults....water temps got over 100F and as low as 56F and they continued to spawn and I would still get lots of fry...I made a post about it in the breeding section if you want more details http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=47192.....had several set up in different containers with mix of male and females....worked well.......
I loved that thread! I might let the tubs fill with rain water too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perdue View Post
couldnt summer hot temperatures make the water too hot and hurt the bettas?
My tubs will be located under a large shady maple tree (my tree is tall and the bracnhes go over my deck).
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorW View Post
This is such an interesting thread! And it's nice because these fish get a chance to be "wild" and act like they would in nature.
Yup! I've tried this method (well kinda) indoors before....I like it a lot better!
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 05:10 PM   #13 
nomoretickets

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrVampire181 View Post
I would use the kiddy pool idea but the air here is dry and young bettas need humid air for protecting their labyrinth...hence the lid :)
no problem with humidity here, if it gets lower then 20% people would think the world is ending... usually stays around 35-40%
nomoretickets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 07:12 PM   #14 
dramaqueen
Banned

It usually doesn't get that hot in Colorado.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 07:35 PM   #15 
MrVampire181

Quote:
Originally Posted by dramaqueen View Post
It usually doesn't get that hot in Colorado.
You'd be suprised now a days...it was pretty warm today and it's been nice...no snow! This past summer was a killer with the heat.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 08:08 PM   #16 
dramaqueen
Banned

I've heard you haven't gotten much snow. They haven't gotten any in Trinidad, either.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote