Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-08-2010, 03:07 PM   #1 
Alex09

Aqueon Filter Mod

I have an Aqueon "Quiet Flow 10" as a HOB filter on my 10 gallon tank. I have had it running for several months now. When I opened it up today, I was not very satisfied with the filter's standard "bio-Holster". It hardly had any bacterial growth on it! I wanted to get the most out of the biological filtration so i decided to to something about it. I basically replaced the plastic "bio-holster" with a piece of sponge. Here is how I did it if anyone is interested.
What you will need:
-Sponge
-Scissors

Here is the filter's "bio-filter" as you can see it hardly has anything in it, I was not impressed.

Here is the kind of sponge I used. I got it at petco for $2. I wanted to use someting I was certain is aquarium safe.

I then cut the sponge in half lengthwise. So I ended up with 2 strips of sponge each of them (pprox 3.5 inches long and 1.5 inches high). Here is one of them:

I then cut off one of the corners, that way the sponge will let the filter lid fit tightly.

I then squeezed the sponge and stuck it in the filter as shown. In the pic you can see that I already have another sponge installed. The reason I squeezed it in there (and not cut off the excess) is that I wanted to get the most surface area for the bacteria to live in. And also because it will prevent it from falling out.

Finished result:

The sponge I have is yellowish-brown because I used the sponge I baffled my filter with and it was already loaded with the beneficial bacteria. This method also cut down the current in the tank to the point that I feel that I no longer need to baffle my filter.

Last edited by Alex09; 12-08-2010 at 03:12 PM.
Alex09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 09:37 PM   #2 
sayurasem

so cool!! finally someone have the same filter that i have. btw... im dont get why would you want bacteria on the blue thing??? thx so much!.

-i tried to put sponge behind the biological filter but the water over flow from the side anyway lol... hard to baffle. (trick on this filter is you have to ballance the water level)
sayurasem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 09:45 PM   #3 
celine18

random question, is that filter noisy?
celine18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 10:09 PM   #4 
sayurasem

Quote:
Originally Posted by celine18 View Post
random question, is that filter noisy?
its very quite. i got the filter with the incansedent hood, and 10 gal glass aquarium for 20 bucks!.
its really quite that all you hear is the trickling sound of the water. too bad you cant adjust the pump power because its too strong of a current for my bettas.
Old 12-14-2010, 10:09 PM   #5 
Apocalypse

I did the same thing on mine, but cut a piece small enough to go underneath the blue piece.
Apocalypse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 10:10 PM   #6 
Apocalypse

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayurasem View Post
im dont get why would you want bacteria on the blue thing???
That's how cycling a tank works.
Apocalypse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 04:04 PM   #7 
vaygirl

I've had that filter on Kilo's tank since I set it up. I've never even swished out the filter pad. In fact, I've never opened the filter at all due to putting it under a cabinet (stupid). It's the most stable tank in my house, so that blue thing must hold some bacteria. Lol. I don't have to baffle it cause his tail is short but that looks like a good setup, Alex.

@sayurasem - You want bacteria in your filter. It's what changes the harmful ammonia that your fish puts out, into less harmful nitrate.
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 09:32 PM   #8 
sayurasem

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaygirl View Post
I've had that filter on Kilo's tank since I set it up. I've never even swished out the filter pad. In fact, I've never opened the filter at all due to putting it under a cabinet (stupid). It's the most stable tank in my house, so that blue thing must hold some bacteria. Lol. I don't have to baffle it cause his tail is short but that looks like a good setup, Alex.

@sayurasem - You want bacteria in your filter. It's what changes the harmful ammonia that your fish puts out, into less harmful nitrate.
oooooo thank you!
Old 12-15-2010, 09:45 PM   #9 
Alex09

Wow vaygirl really? I have to swish out the pad every week or else it starts overflowing. Grrr! Thats why I came up with this idea. otherwise my cycle would have crashed if I replaced the pad. That blue thing was in there for MONTHS and hardly had anything in it.

And yeah, you want bacteria. Its a GOOD bacteria. See, when your fish poops, the poop releases a toxin called ammonia into the water. High doses of ammonia can kill your fish. The bacteria in your filter turns the ammonia into another form called nitrate which is less toxic. Thats the main purpose of a filter and why its important to have it running 24/7.
Alex09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 09:58 PM   #10 
vaygirl

Honestly. It's held a cycle all this time and I've never even opened the thing. All the bacteria is probably in the pad though, really. I keep waiting to have to do something with it but gosh, I guess it's been almost a year without me touching it. That filter pad is probably ready to fall apart. I shouldn't have said anything. Now it'll crash. :P

I wonder why yours gets stopped up? Maybe the motor is bad. Do you ever clean the impeller? Sometimes they slow up if there's gunk in them.
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aqueon, filter, mod