Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-15-2010, 12:51 PM   #1 
bettabrit

Thumbs down new betta owner. could use some advice

Hi there,

So I got my new betta fish yesterday. He's a lovely blue colour, and I've yet to come up with a name, so for now he is fishy.
I prepared fishy's tank with all the advice I found on this forum, as well as advice I got from 2 of my roomates that have had bettas for almost 2 years now.
So i put fishy into his tank, and he's spent most of his time at the top, not moving, occasionally taking in air. He's kind of on his side a bit, and just generally seems a bit listless. His fins aren't as healthy looking as they could be. I called the pet store where I bought him and he just suggested coming in to get some medicine. Really not too sure what to do at this point. Oh, he isn't eating either.
Any advice would be great! Thanks
bettabrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 12:55 PM   #2 
Creat

Well how big is the tank, is it heated? Is the water conditioned? I wouldn't medicate him at all unless he actually has something. Is the only thing wrong with him is being listless?
Creat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 01:13 PM   #3 
bettabrit

His tank is 2L and no it's not heated. However, my roomates and I keep our bettas in the same room, not close to each other, of course, and theirs are flourishing beautifully. He's listless, and spent alot of his time tilted on his side. It looks almost as if he can't support the weight of his fins, if that makes sense. Plus he's not eating at all.
bettabrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 01:21 PM   #4 
Creat

I would try raising the temperature in the room or getting a small heater betta need to be at about 80 degrees F. Some betta have a hard time taking to dry food if you have the money try giving him live food give him a few days though he will be fine for another few days or so. Also some aquarium salt might help and be sure the water is chlorinated. He probably is still adjusting to the water... although it sounds like he is just acclimating.
Old 12-15-2010, 02:09 PM   #5 
Oldfishlady

I think Creat meant to dechlorinated-it is really important to use a good dechlorinator with any water you use on the Betta-chlorine/chloriamine can be really hard on them
Do you have a thermometer-if not you need one to monitor the temp

Every Betta is different in their tolerance level to cold-healthy unstressed betta can tolerate much lower temps-so its not fair to compare him to your roommates Bettas at this point...you want to maintain at least 76F

In 2L container you also need to make several (3-4) 100% weekly water changes to maintain water quality and remove any uneaten food after you feed him so the water doesn't foul too fast

At the store- was he floating on his side or did that start after you put him in your tank-if this is new it is most likely cold related or a big change in pH from the fish shop and the source water-sometimes Epsom salt (Magnesium Sulfate) 1tsp/gal along with 100% daily water changes can help along with maintain the water temp in the 76-77F range for about 7-10 days

I would hold off on feeding for now until he perks up-he may just need more time to adjust......

Last edited by Oldfishlady; 12-15-2010 at 02:11 PM.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 03:42 PM   #6 
Creat

thanks OFL you have been at explaining fish way longer then anyone I know :)
Old 12-15-2010, 04:26 PM   #7 
Emma1986

Im new here, but isn't a 2L tank a tad too small for any fish?? My betta is in a 35L tank and I thought that was small
Emma1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 04:30 PM   #8 
Creat

I believe it depends on filtration and the number of cleanings most people dont want to clean the water all the time so a larger tank is nicer also smaller tanks dont build up beneficial bacteria like larger ones. The smaller it is the less room for error.
Old 12-15-2010, 04:42 PM   #9 
Oldfishlady

A 2L tank is about half gallon-although not ideal as long as the needed water changes are made to maintain water quality a Betta will do fine in my experience...you have very little room for error if you miss a water change, overfed, fail to remove any uneaten food and you can't add anything else to the tank livestock wise-not safe to add filtration except maybe a really small or homemade sponge filter or you risk shredding fins-I have added 7.5w heaters and heated without problems/issues... if I am growing out a male I want something on the small half gallon size...but if you only have a couple of Bettas and have a life...2gal and bigger may work better for both the Betta and keeper.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 05:34 PM   #10 
Jupiter

Welcome to the forum. :)

IMO 2L is pretty small...it's the size of those giant pop bottles...so i guess .5 gallons like OFL said. Anyway, do make sure that you do several water changes per week and keep his water warm. Warm, clean water really does help a betta out. Could just be freaked out because of the change. Did you acclimate him to the tank?

Good luck with him!
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote