Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-14-2010, 11:58 AM   #11 
scootshoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by DormDrax View Post
*UPDATE*

Seems Drax is FINALLY acting like the PIG he should be!
After 2 days of light Salting and Clean water he's FINALLY eating (Probably too much) had to tell my mom (I'll be home for good... well a month this Friday) to not feed him so much she was getting him to eat 4 pellets at a time haha... had to tell her to keep it at 2 pellets.

Least I can finally sleep easy knowing he's eating and being a pig about it (Which I think is how Betta's are supposed to be).
Glad to hear!

Wow your boy Drax is a real fighter!! When you first posted pics of him alongside the story of how you acquired him, I would have given him a 50/50 shot at survival. Great to hear he is devouring food like healthy betta's should, he's lucky to have found an owner like you
scootshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 12:06 PM   #12 
DormDrax

Quote:
Originally Posted by scootshoot View Post
Glad to hear!

Wow your boy Drax is a real fighter!! When you first posted pics of him alongside the story of how you acquired him, I would have given him a 50/50 shot at survival. Great to hear he is devouring food like healthy betta's should, he's lucky to have found an owner like you
D'aww shucks...

Yeah he seems to be able to take a beating.
Not that I beat him hahaha just when I tried to cup him (For the water change) he kept out swimming the suction from the vase I was trying to get him into (He probably remember's the vase haha) I couldn't believe he was outswimming the dang thing a few times still I pretty much forced (Gently) into it. Then he just stared longingly at the tank for the hour while I cleaned.

He doesn't seem to mind temp changes either. When I put him back in... the vase was 75F while the tank was 80F and he didn't get phased at all. He's probably used to big flux's. He actually went over to the heater as if he wanted to get warmer and went into one of those 'Sleep Mode' stances where he opens all his fins up fully and just pauses for a minute. Then he touched the heater and woke up haha. And that heater gets hot! Almost burned myself on it when I was cleaning so he seems to like it hot...

The Tank Average is about 78F so should I heat it up more if he seems to like it warmer?
DormDrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 12:17 PM   #13 
scootshoot

Naw, 78 is perfect. Leave it be.
scootshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 12:43 PM   #14 
DormDrax

Quote:
Originally Posted by scootshoot View Post
Naw, 78 is perfect. Leave it be.
Also...

What do you mean you assumed he had a 50/50 chance...

Not mad just curious.
Old 12-15-2010, 03:17 PM   #15 
TaylorW

I was going to give him a 50/50 shot too when I first saw Drax and that vase... Most people that get bettas as gifts or for free, especially if they come from poor conditions and are in a tiny container, the fish usually don't make it.

A lot of people also aren't willing to take proper care of them, and when they get them for free they just don't feel it's worth the effort. Either that or they choose to remain uniformed about fish care. I'm a college student myself, so don't take offense, but college students are also notorious for killing bettas.

But you're a good owner and have proved it, and I'm very glad that you have saved Drax's life! :) :) :)
TaylorW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 05:05 PM   #16 
DormDrax

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorW View Post
I was going to give him a 50/50 shot too when I first saw Drax and that vase... Most people that get bettas as gifts or for free, especially if they come from poor conditions and are in a tiny container, the fish usually don't make it.

A lot of people also aren't willing to take proper care of them, and when they get them for free they just don't feel it's worth the effort. Either that or they choose to remain uniformed about fish care. I'm a college student myself, so don't take offense, but college students are also notorious for killing bettas.

But you're a good owner and have proved it, and I'm very glad that you have saved Drax's life! :) :) :)
Heh...
Now the only problem is that my mom is overfeeding him...
*Phone Conversation*
Me: "Ah so how much did he eat today?"
Mom: "Oh 4 of those little pellets, feeding him more now! He seems so hungry!"
Me: "... Please limit it to 2 pellets at every feeding..."
Mom: "He wasn't eating for a week honey! I think mom knows best!"
Me: "..." *Sighs* "Please limit it to 2 in the morning and 2 around dinner..."
Mom: "Alllllllllllllright! But if he starves it's your fault not mine!"
Me: "Of course mother..."

I'll be home tomorrow night... heh...

I think both of my parents enjoy having Drax around now as well, apparently my Dad hovers around the tank alot... as well as my mom's new love of giving Drax extra food. Cept I'm the one whose gonna be cleaning that poop filled tank from all that extra food!

Last edited by DormDrax; 12-15-2010 at 05:08 PM.
Old 12-15-2010, 05:45 PM   #17 
TaylorW

LOL, awww it's so nice that your parents love Drax!! :D

And I hope my previous post didn't offend you, you're a great pet owner! :) :)
TaylorW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 05:46 PM   #18 
DormDrax

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorW View Post
LOL, awww it's so nice that your parents love Drax!! :D

And I hope my previous post didn't offend you, you're a great pet owner! :) :)
I think it's because part of me likes to control the fate of something helpless (Fish in a Fishbowl) yet the gentle side of me can't help but be generous hahaha