Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-16-2010, 11:43 PM   #1 
nomoretickets

Question How high of ph is too high?

Just set up the tanks for Christmas break at home and checked the ph of the water and found it is 9.6! I know bettas are highly adaptable for water params but that's fairly high. I properly acclimated them, do I need to worry?
nomoretickets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 12:19 AM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Wow..that is high...I didn't know we had a hobbyist grade test kit that would test that high....which one are you using? what is your KH and GH reading....true they will adapt...mine is 8.8 and the highest my test kit goes and equally high hardness with the KH/GH over 300...I call my water liquid rock but you have cement....lol....
How are your fish and fins? do they seem to mind the high pH and this is after a 24 hour de-gassing too right? if not, draw a clean glass of your source water, add an airstone and re-test in 24 hours...it may just be high CO2 content
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 02:10 AM   #3 
sayurasem

i was guna make a new thread but i saw this, so ill just ask if my crowntails fins are curly (hook like) and i heard the water is too hard.. is it the ph too high?? so what ph should be good for my crowntail?

-i see retail petstore's crowntails fins are straight all the way down (and thin), my crowntail is thick and hooked.
sayurasem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 04:46 PM   #4 
nomoretickets

My gf's dad has an industrial grade electronic water moniter that we used. I didn't do a degassing but the tank with the filter has dropped from 9.8 to 8.8 overnight so it's definitely high co2 content
nomoretickets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 04:55 PM   #5 
Oldfishlady

How cool-that must be nice having access to a electronic monitor...too bad they cost so much for the regular hobbyist.....or I would get one...lol.......

How is the fish tolerating the swings and pH in general.....do you have a way to check the KH and GH
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote