Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-17-2010, 02:01 PM   #1 
celine18

Emergency! Extreeemely lathargic betta!

ok, so i had put sam in the 10 gallon with the cories, they didn't get along, and i took him out and put him back in his old bowl. he was extremely bloated from over eating the cories algae wafers. the bowl is the same one he was in before, same plants, decorations, dechlorinator, i cleaned everything off before i put him in it. the only difference is that i got a new 25 watt topfin (it's not the black one, it's the gray one with the rubber/plastic blocks on the ends). i added 1tsp/gal epsom salt to the water to help with bloat/constipation. temp was 78-9

well, within an hour of putting him in, be became extremely lethargic, not moving. i assumed he was sleeping, being tired from stress of the larger tank. well, this morning he was still looking bad, not moving, and it was hard to convince him to eat, which is amazing, since he's more of a pig than my dog. and just now, when i came back from school, i thought he was dead, he was just floating at the top of the bowl, every fin clamped as tight as it could get, only moving a tiiiny bit when i poke him, then just clamping back up and floating back to the top.

i instantly whipped him out of there to do a wc, minus epsom salt, which i had thought was causing the problem (i've used aq salt before with no problems) and i smelled the water. it reeked of plastic! the heater's plastic had stunk up the water, even my hands smell like it from picking it up to take it out and wash it off. i'm now thinking this is the problem, can plastic/rubber leak something bad?????

well, everything stinks, so i'm taking out another 2 gal hex i have and i'm going to clean it and put him in there with the old heater (which only heats to 72-4 ish).

ANYBODY KNOW WHAT'S HAPPENED???? OR HOW I CAN SAVE HIM??? HE LOOKS LIKE A CORPSE, AND I'M REALLY WORRIED THAT I'M GOING TO LOOSE HIM!!!!!!!
celine18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 03:00 PM   #2 
Adastra

Poor betta. He sounds like he is very distressed. As long as you rinsed the heater before you put it in the tank, it is a very unlikely culprit. You did not make it clear, so did you put the betta into clean water when you removed him from the larger tank? I assume you did.

Did you pre-dissolve and slowly add the epsom salt? How much epsom salt did you use?

For now, I think you should leave him in clean water. Make sure the room is dimly lit, or you can put a piece of fabric over the tank to keep it dark. Try to leave him alone. Are you using the heater now?
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 03:42 PM   #3 
celine18

yes, i thoroughly cleaned the bowl and things and heater before i put him in it. well the water absolutely stunk of plastic, and that had never happened before, everything else was old, and there was only one new element in the tank, the heater.

it was 1tsp/gallon, or slightly less. i let it dissolve for like 10 minutes and took an hour or so to get him acclimated to the water.

yes, i put him in new, clean water in a new tank. i returned that pos for a marineland stealth 50watt (yes, a bunch, but that's all they had) and all of the plants and old decorations that were tainted have been gotten rid of. i'll put something over his tank.

he had seemed slightly more entergetic when i first put him in the clean water, now he's just sitting on the bottom of the tank, looks like he's taking deep breaths, and he's still just as clamed as can be......
Old 12-17-2010, 03:56 PM   #4 
Adastra

Poor man. Hopefully given time to de-stress he will bounce back for you. Sometimes when they get stressed out they open themselves up to the possibility of infection and that is what you really have to watch out for. 50 watt heaters aren't designed for use in such small tanks--so you should do your best to monitor the temperature and perhaps set it a bit lower than the desired temperature.

I'm assuming he's still bloated. Sometimes stress and bloating put together can cause swim bladder issues. Try putting something in the tank that he can perch on top of, like an overturned plastic cup with a bit of gravel or a rock on top of weight it down. This should make it easier to reach the top to breathe.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 04:05 PM   #5 
celine18

well i'm hoping to get one of those 5 gal kits from walmart, so the heater'll be more suited to that.

no, he's not particularily bloated anymore. i hadn't fed him the 3 days he was with the cories, because he was bloated. he does seem to have some problems staying straight, he slighly leans to the side, as you'll see in the pic below.

for comparison, here's what he looked like 2 days ago:
Old 12-17-2010, 10:03 PM   #6 
celine18

well he seems to of perked up a tiiiiny bit, he's swimming around a little bit. his temps at 74. i put his wc bowl in there, since it's glass, but he hasn't used it, he just stays on the bottom. the water's only 5 inches deep, but when i do a wc tomorrow i think i'll make it shallower. i managed to get him to eat one pellet, but it was difficult. he doesn't even respond to the white spoon i feed him with, he used to go crazy whenever he saw it, he'd attack it looking for the pellet, but now he's running away from it, so i ended up using tweezers to stick the pellet in front of his face......

siiiiiigh this boy's been nuthing but a headache all week.....bullying, now sick, whats next? :(