Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-15-2010, 11:28 PM   #1 
wildmagic713

Getting a new tank?

I have a 5 gallon hexagon tank right now. However, the light blew out (There is a shield between the light and the tank, which it bent because the plastic actually softened), but nothing happened to the tank itself, or to the water/plants etc. (It gets too hot, and it's only on while I'm awake, until it gets dark out (School days its on from 7-6 and weekends 11-10)). The filter broke, and while the tank isn't leaking, there's really no use for it anymore, because I'm not paying to get new stuff for it.

I have plants, I have gravel. My dad said I can get a 10 gallon tank, because I have a new (unused) 10 gallon filter (I bought it at the aquarium store because it was on sale, and it's a fairly nice one). I have a 50 watt heater, I have a thermometer. I was going to get this: http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=3804453

It has good reviews and looks like a good tank. We have a 20 gallon version for our guppies and it works really well, we've had it since I was 7 (So 7 years) and have never had any problems with it.

I was wondering if I could put a divider in and put another fish on the other side (Either another Betta, or move a few guppies into this tank, or something) so that Mister Fishy has some company that he can't hurt.

Would it be a bad idea to get another Betta if it's male? And if so, what fish do you recommend I put on the other side?

However, I have a few questions:

1) If I divide the tank, how do I work it out so all the water gets filtered without using two filters?

2) How do I divide the tank?

3) Mister Fishy looks to have Ick, and popeye (I blame the filter breaking even though I tried my best to keep the water clean, I was doing water changes every week (50%) and cleaning out the food that he didn't eat every other day). He's on Maracyn Two for now, but it doesn't seem to be doing much good. I've heard the epsom salt treatment recommended here, so how would I do that?

4) If I do the epsom salt treatment, how long should I wait before adding new fish? I want to get another Betta, but IDK if my parents would let me (My dad would, my mom might not). Would it be wise (Because I'd probably get a petstore one (Aquarium store that sold me the treatment is where I'd buy it, and they take good care of their fish (You actually have to know something about fish to work there))) to just treat them both with epsom salt because the store fish will probably have something wrong with it from being kept like that?

5) What is the best way to move Mister Fishy to his new home? I'm assuming just float him in a container in there for 15 minutes, remove some of the old water and add new water, and just keep doing that until he's entirely in the new water? What do you recommend?

6) If I end up using my new filter, how do I soften the flow so that it's not so strong?

I think I am going to try to get some more silk plants, and a place for him to hide. I've had him 3 months and 10 days and I want him to be with me for a while, and I'm really worried about him. He's become more active lately since I've been treating him, and the popeye isn't going away, plus yesterday I noticed he has little white spots on his body, and I just changed his water (100%) on Sunday because it needed to be done, but I'm still worried.

What's the best treatment you can think of for Ick and Popeye that I can do all at once?

Thank you so much :)

Last edited by wildmagic713; 12-15-2010 at 11:32 PM.
wildmagic713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 05:43 PM   #2 
wildmagic713

PLEASE help me, I'm very worried about him, he's not looking so good. PLEASE!
Old 12-18-2010, 02:16 PM   #3 
dramaqueen
Banned

I don't think there is anything that will treat both. I would use Maracyn1 and 2 for the popeye. Aquarisol can be used for ick but I wouldn't use both at the same time.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 03:33 PM   #4 
wallywestisthebest333

You should move your situation with your boy's health and previous care to the emergencies thread. If you're super worried then you can bump the thread to get help more quickly. :/

As for the question about your tank what kind of filter did you get? It might be usable in a 5 gallon. So you wouldn't have to waste the tank that you already have.

How exactly is the filter in your 5 gallon broken anyway? Do you know what brand of filter it is? If so you should call the company about the filter. Often times when a filter is broken it's just something tangled up in the propeller, the automated system usually instructs you how to fix your filter after you go through all of the menues or an actual representative will tell you how to fix it usually just untangling hair or something similar from the propeller). =]

The company will usually have a warranty on it (they all usually come with a warranty especially if you bought it as part of a kit) so if it is truly broken they'll replace it for you. =]

What kind of light bulb did you use? Incandescent bulbs get really hot. =[ For the future I advise buying a Compact Fluorescent Light bulb (CFL). =]

To solve your current lighting and hood problem a desk lamp works just fine. =] Lots of people that grow plants in 5 gallons and smaller use desk lamps or those spider floor lamps with the adjustable rods where you can aim the light where you want. =]

And a lot of people on this forum don't use lids on their tanks (if you do this then you'll need to keep the water level 2 inches from the top of the tank) or if if they use an alternative lid then they use saran wrap with holes poked in it or chicken wire resting on the lip of the tank (where the lid would go). =]

This way you don't have to get a new tank with a lid. =]

If you get a new tank you'll either have to get a kit or an empty tank. If you buy a kit it comes with a lighted hood and a filter, if you buy an empty tank you just get the empty tank and you'd have to buy a lighted hood separately.

If you bought just the empty tank it'd probably cost you more than a kit (which are on sale for $20 at Petsmart). You'd have everything that you need without extras.

If you bought the 10 gallon kit (especially if it's on sale) then you'd have everything you need, you'd only have on e purchase to make, but you'd have an extra filter.

SO I'd check to see if you can fix your filter first or if they'll replace it for you. See if you have a desk lamp that you're not using and use it for your tank as light (after lowering the water level a couple of inches or using Saran Wrap (plastic wrap) with holes poked in it as a lid)
wallywestisthebest333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 03:39 PM   #5 
wildmagic713

The filter is just plain broken. I took it apart like they tell you to, there is nothing wrong with it. It just doesn't work.

I can't use the tank anymore. The plastic shield bent because of the heat, so the hood no longer sits properly on the frame.

And I emailed the customer service asking for a new filter, stating I had registered it for warranty, and while they responded TWO WEEKS AGO and I gave them my address and everything, I have gotten NOTHING, even though they said they would send something.

I'm just done with that tank. I'm tired of it. I'm going to keep in, but until I need it I'm not using it, and if I do end up using it, it won't happen for quite a while. I got a 10 gallon last night.

And my dad is very handy with tools and such, so he's making me a hood. We've got all of that figured out.
Old 12-18-2010, 03:49 PM   #6 
wallywestisthebest333

Oh! I didn't see how old this thread was. XD

Congrats on your new tank and your dad making you a lid! :D That's so sweet of him! =]

Well you can divide it but for now I'd keep it empty with just him, water, and a heater in there while he's sick.

Having other fish in the tank, even while you're treating your boy could make them sick. If necessarily not from what your boy has but possibly from treating healthy fish when you don't need to.

The filter is pretty much pointless while he's sick (unless your 5 gallon was cycled and you have seeded the filter for your 10 gallon) especially if you're using the activated carbon. It's just one more thing to clean during 100% changes.

I hope your boy gets better. <3
wallywestisthebest333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 03:52 PM   #7 
wildmagic713

Yeah, there's not enough water in there for it (5 gallons because I was told to do 100% changes daily and 10 is too much to do that), and I heard I shouldn't use it.

My mom won't let me get a new fish for a while anyways, so it'll be at least a month before I get another one.

I saw the most beautiful half-moon double tail at PetCo (They take good care of their Bettas around here) and I wanted him so much, but no new fish until Mister Fishy gets better....
Old 12-18-2010, 04:06 PM   #8 
wildmagic713

I got the impeller today. It did me no good. I sent them an email stating what has broken, and stating that unless I can get the filter, hood, light, and shield replaced, I will not use the tank again, and I will not buy any more MarineLand products for quite a while, because I am tired of the risk, time, and money that I've poured in being all for nothing.