I have a 5 gallon hexagon tank right now. However, the light blew out (There is a shield between the light and the tank, which it bent because the plastic actually softened), but nothing happened to the tank itself, or to the water/plants etc. (It gets too hot, and it's only on while I'm awake, until it gets dark out (School days its on from 7-6 and weekends 11-10)). The filter broke, and while the tank isn't leaking, there's really no use for it anymore, because I'm not paying to get new stuff for it.
I have plants, I have gravel. My dad said I can get a 10 gallon tank, because I have a new (unused) 10 gallon filter (I bought it at the aquarium store because it was on sale, and it's a fairly nice one). I have a 50 watt heater, I have a thermometer. I was going to get this: http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=3804453
It has good reviews and looks like a good tank. We have a 20 gallon version for our guppies and it works really well, we've had it since I was 7 (So 7 years) and have never had any problems with it.
I was wondering if I could put a divider in and put another fish on the other side (Either another Betta, or move a few guppies into this tank, or something) so that Mister Fishy has some company that he can't hurt.
Would it be a bad idea to get another Betta if it's male? And if so, what fish do you recommend I put on the other side?
However, I have a few questions:
1) If I divide the tank, how do I work it out so all the water gets filtered without using two filters?
2) How do I divide the tank?
3) Mister Fishy looks to have Ick, and popeye (I blame the filter breaking even though I tried my best to keep the water clean, I was doing water changes every week (50%) and cleaning out the food that he didn't eat every other day). He's on Maracyn Two for now, but it doesn't seem to be doing much good. I've heard the epsom salt treatment recommended here, so how would I do that?
4) If I do the epsom salt treatment, how long should I wait before adding new fish? I want to get another Betta, but IDK if my parents would let me (My dad would, my mom might not). Would it be wise (Because I'd probably get a petstore one (Aquarium store that sold me the treatment is where I'd buy it, and they take good care of their fish (You actually have to know something about fish to work there))) to just treat them both with epsom salt because the store fish will probably have something wrong with it from being kept like that?
5) What is the best way to move Mister Fishy to his new home? I'm assuming just float him in a container in there for 15 minutes, remove some of the old water and add new water, and just keep doing that until he's entirely in the new water? What do you recommend?
6) If I end up using my new filter, how do I soften the flow so that it's not so strong?
I think I am going to try to get some more silk plants, and a place for him to hide. I've had him 3 months and 10 days and I want him to be with me for a while, and I'm really worried about him. He's become more active lately since I've been treating him, and the popeye isn't going away, plus yesterday I noticed he has little white spots on his body, and I just changed his water (100%) on Sunday because it needed to be done, but I'm still worried.
What's the best treatment you can think of for Ick and Popeye that I can do all at once?
Thank you so much :)