Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-13-2010, 03:19 PM   #21 
Tsuhei

Well they both look healthy to me. Just to be safe, keep the water as clean as possible (pristine). I'd do 100% water changes every day for a week and add some aquarium salt (not table salt) to the water for just those 7 days. Since I don't see a particular ailment, I'd follow the instructions on the box (usually 1/2 tsp per gallon). Afterward, if you think their condition looks worse or something happens, post again with pictures and we'll give you our answers.

As for now, keep those tanks clean!

Note: Treat the water with water conditioner / other additives you use before adding it to the tank...chlorine in tap water can kill your fish. Also make sure you acclimate them each time.
Tsuhei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 05:06 AM   #22 
hebooz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsuhei View Post
Well they both look healthy to me. Just to be safe, keep the water as clean as possible (pristine). I'd do 100% water changes every day for a week and add some aquarium salt (not table salt) to the water for just those 7 days. Since I don't see a particular ailment, I'd follow the instructions on the box (usually 1/2 tsp per gallon). Afterward, if you think their condition looks worse or something happens, post again with pictures and we'll give you our answers.

As for now, keep those tanks clean!

Note: Treat the water with water conditioner / other additives you use before adding it to the tank...chlorine in tap water can kill your fish. Also make sure you acclimate them each time.
Thanks for the help, and how much are the salt and conditioner?
hebooz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 05:27 AM   #23 
WashingtonCowgirl

Also, I noticed you are feeding 7-10 pellets 2x a day. That is WAY to much! I feed mine 2 pellets a day. One in the morning and one at night. And one day a week they don't eat at all. Bettas bloat easily. Their bellies are only the size of their eyeballs, plus those pellets expand (unless you soak them for 5 min. first, which you should be doing too).
WashingtonCowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 07:05 AM   #24 
hebooz

Quote:
Originally Posted by WashingtonCowgirl View Post
Also, I noticed you are feeding 7-10 pellets 2x a day. That is WAY to much! I feed mine 2 pellets a day. One in the morning and one at night. And one day a week they don't eat at all. Bettas bloat easily. Their bellies are only the size of their eyeballs, plus those pellets expand (unless you soak them for 5 min. first, which you should be doing too).
Its micro pellets, they are really small.

:)
Old 12-14-2010, 07:42 AM   #25 
WashingtonCowgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by hebooz View Post
Its micro pellets, they are really small.

:)
So are mine, and so is your fishies belly. If they are that tiny then feed 3, not 7-10
WashingtonCowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 02:40 PM   #26 
Tsuhei

Quote:
Originally Posted by hebooz View Post
Thanks for the help, and how much are the salt and conditioner?
Kordon Fish Protect is about $4-$5 at Petco.

Water Conditioner Ranges from $3-$10 depending on the brand or amount.

Aquarium Salt (16 oz box) is approximately $3.

Remember - Don't use aquarium salt for more than 7-10 days. It can hurt your fish if you use it for any longer than that.

Last edited by Tsuhei; 12-14-2010 at 02:42 PM.
Tsuhei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 08:12 AM   #27 
hebooz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsuhei View Post
Kordon Fish Protect is about $4-$5 at Petco.

Water Conditioner Ranges from $3-$10 depending on the brand or amount.

Aquarium Salt (16 oz box) is approximately $3.

Remember - Don't use aquarium salt for more than 7-10 days. It can hurt your fish if you use it for any longer than that.
Sorry, been away for a few days.I am getting a larger tank for them soon!

What's the difference between table salt and aquarium salt

As for the other stuff, I don't live in the U.S, and they are not sold at the stores around my area.Can I substitute the with anything else?

Thanks