Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-19-2010, 11:03 AM   #1 
jessiepbg

Old Tank Had Standing Water

I just switched to a 10 gallon for my betta a couple weeks ago, but I still have his old 1.5 gallon that has been just sitting there for 2-3 weeks with water and gravel in it, but no tank upkeep, filter, heater, live plants, etc. I emptied it out and besides one little rust-colored spot right where the water line was and some calcium deposits from the hard water, it looks completely clean. Is there any kind of disinfecting I should do before I use it as a holding tank for my cories while I clean the big one? I would leave it empty most of the time, then fill it 4-5 inches full with the tank water from my old tank.

Oh, and is there any reason not to do 50% water changes with the cories? I know the Betta doesn't mind, but would the cories be able to take such a big change?

Last edited by jessiepbg; 12-19-2010 at 11:06 AM.
jessiepbg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 04:16 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

I would just do vinegar to clean it and help get the mineral deposits off, or diluted bleach if the fish was sick in the tank...or just clean water and some elbow grease......

The big problem you can cause with cory cats and big water changes especially if the replacement water is 10 degrees or so cooler than the tank water is you may trigger them to spawn....if you have both sexes that is....lol....
Personally, I wouldn't remove them from the tank for water changes-sometimes the netting stress can be hard on them...

As long as you have been doing regular water changes on the tank to start-large water changes are not usually problematic, neglected tanks that have high nitrates can be problematic due to the sudden drop in nitrate and pH swing and best to do small percents daily and increase the percent by 10% every 3rd day until you reach 50% and then back to back 50% for a couple of days and then 50% weekly with substrate cleaning thereafter...but with 10 cory cats in a 10g and being overstocked you may have high nitrates unless it is heavy planted.

Last edited by Oldfishlady; 12-19-2010 at 04:20 PM.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 04:53 PM   #3 
jessiepbg

I've actually only got 5 Cories and a betta in there. I don't have a ton of plants, just hornwort and some ribbon plants right now. If you think I should leave them in there while I clean the tank, I will. They're next to impossible to catch and I hate chasing the poor things. I was doing 50% changes twice a week until I added the Cories yesterday. Should I be fine to do 50% changes every other day if they need it?

I think I might just clean that little tank up like you suggested and wait to see if another betta catches my eye. Thanks for your help.
jessiepbg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 05:08 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

I was going by your stock list in your sig...lol....sorry....anyway......To re-cap.....this is a cycled 10g filtered tank with some live plants, 5 cory cats and one adult Betta...correct? if so, 50% weekly water changes with substrate vacuuming in all areas that can be reached without moving anything or disruption of plant root should maintain water quality provided that you are not overfeeding and the cory's are cleaning up their food within a reasonable time. And if doing water test-50% water changes for ammonia, nitrite 0.25ppm or greater and nitrate greater than 20ppm- along with the regular 50% weekly water change

Only time you need to remove the fish with water changes is when you do a complete tear down or 100% (Duh LOL.) and you shouldn't need to be doing that especially on a 10g filtered tank with live plants.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote