Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-20-2010, 08:16 PM   #1 
DormDrax

VERY odd question... (I'm JUST curious)

Can a Betta be 'Curious' *Nudge Nudge* of other's of the same sex.

The only bubble nest Drax ever made was when he was in my friends care on that cold night where he was put next to her Flaming Red HM 'Fred'. Since then... he's never made one.

*Depressed* They seemed so curious of eachother... well Drax did. (Fred has since died at the dorms). I feel I'd done everything to make him happy yet I've failed to see a bubble nest. I've buffed the water with a sponge so their are several area's where bubbles can collect and not be swept away.

If anything I think maybe Drax would like other Fish around. Maybe he'd feel more comfortable with other things around him. I feel like he's... RESTLESS so to speak. Always looking at me as if I'm going to dive in and swim with him (Wish I could... if I could shrink down haha). He just has this. "I don't know what to do with myself" Vibe.
DormDrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 08:19 PM   #2 
Panthera

Well if your talking about a sexual attraction to the same sex, I don't think so. They don't think about breeding like humans do, they just want and need to do whatever it takes to have offspring and keep the species going, which happens to be with the opposite sex, and they know this. Now I have 3 males in a divided 10 Gallon, and Adamu is the only one that builds a bubblenest. Granted he builds one each day no matter how often I tear it down, but it does end up covering pretty much the whole surface when hes finished.

Lyra used to be next to him before I moved her into the sorority, so I thought maybe seeing her occasionally made egged him into building one. But now that Triad is next to him and he still builds one every day, I dont think thats the case. It could be that he needs to prove to other males that he CAN build the biggest bubble nest, so maybe its a bit of a competition? I don't know, interesting though lol
Panthera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 08:32 PM   #3 
JKfish

The reason why he built his bubble nest was because he felt that he had to mark/protect his territory from the other male who was so gosh darn close and was "threatening" his vase. Lol, no, fish aren't exactly human. He was probably just building to show that he was a healthy male and definately capable of taking down Freddy if he dared swim any closer.
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 08:33 PM   #4 
Dragonlady

Young male bettas are often triggered to build a nest upon seeing another male, and it has nothing to do with being "curious". That is how male bettas mark their territory for any pretty female swimming by to intimidate/compete with other breeeding males, maybe.

Last edited by Dragonlady; 12-20-2010 at 08:36 PM.
Dragonlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 10:05 PM   #5 
DormDrax

But Drax is apparently 'Old' when I got him a girl said...

"Oh you got an old fella, he's probably close to a year now."

Hmm... so I want to get a Tank Separation going... Hahahahaha forget the community fish I want to start a Betta 'Stud' Farm hahaha

I feel bad that Drax's only counterpart is dead now... it's like... "Well... apparently you were healthier... Fred's Dead... he was a Pretty HM too."

Last edited by dramaqueen; 12-22-2010 at 08:07 PM.
Old 12-20-2010, 10:11 PM   #6 
puppyrjjkm

I agree with JKfish, he probably just wanted to "show up" the other male by making a bigger bubblenest. He may not make one now because he's content without having to make one.
puppyrjjkm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 10:14 PM   #7 
JKfish

Well, you have a ten gallon tank. If you cycle your tank, you can divide it and then have another male in there, though it doesn't always mean they'll make bubblenests or flare at each other, or even show that they realize there is a betta on the other side of the mesh.

also, bettas can live about 5 years. He's too old to breed, but he's got a while ahead of him
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 12:22 AM   #8 
DormDrax

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKfish View Post
Well, you have a ten gallon tank. If you cycle your tank, you can divide it and then have another male in there, though it doesn't always mean they'll make bubblenests or flare at each other, or even show that they realize there is a betta on the other side of the mesh.

also, bettas can live about 5 years. He's too old to breed, but he's got a while ahead of him
Aww Drax is too old to Breed? If he wasn't would you call him a strong male? Even with the eye issue (He's being medicated with salts and clean water) he has been through alot.
I wish I knew what his lineage was... or would you all classify him as 'Petsmart-Mutt'

Hmm just if I do that... I'll only be able to have 2 fish. I DOUBT I'd be able to pull off getting more tanks. I just want to get as much out of my 10gal as possible.

Just... I wish he'd make another bubble nest. He was so active when making it.

Video that I wish people would Scrutinize of my tank and Drax.
http://img42.imageshack.us/img42/6869/ndp.mp4
Early in the video he takes a short nap on that vine he's taken a liking too. Thats as long as he normally 'Trances' before darting around again... he does it often as you can see I finish the video of him finding another spot on the vine and resting...
Old 12-21-2010, 12:32 AM   #9 
TaylorW

Just because Drax is "old" doesn't mean he won't live long! My betta was possibly a year old when I bought him too! He's very energetic and I'm expecting at least 2+ years out of the guy. 3-5 years is average, but they can live 9 years in some cases! :) He's just too old to be a baby-daddy XD

Umm, the video was taking FOREVER for my computer to download and it pretty much made doing anything else on my computer impossible... so yeah, didn't watch it :/ It was killing my laptop :/
TaylorW is offline   Reply With Quote