Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-20-2010, 10:24 PM   #11 
spongebob

just be a major suck-up, worked for me.
spongebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 10:52 PM   #12 
baylee767

Lol I have this problem too. I walked to the fish store the other day with my own money and this happens...

Mom: "You better not buy any fish!"
Me: "But it's my money, so why not?"
Dad: "No honey, theres just no room for it. no.
Me: "Actually I have the room for it!"
Dad: "Well you don't have the tank for it, so no."
Me: "But I can afford a tank AND a fish!"
Dad: "Don't talk back!"
Mom: "Listen to your father!"

LOL. But, my parents would let me get a fish if I already owned a tank... they'd just wait a month before letting me go to the fish store. Try telling your mom that studies show that watching fish lengthens your life span by relieving stress, and the more fish you can watch the longer you can live.
baylee767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 11:02 PM   #13 
wildmagic713

LOL I'll try that :P
wildmagic713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 12:31 AM   #14 
dramaqueen
Banned

I would just show your parents that you are taking good care of the one you have and that you are a responsible person,. I think a lot of parents feel like their kids will get tired of a pet after awhile and they will end up having to take care of it. At least that's how MY mom felt and still feels, even though I'm 49 years old! lol Also, make sure your schoolwork isn't being neglected and that you take care of whatever chores you may have around the house.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 12:47 AM   #15 
wallywestisthebest333

I know this is setting a REALLY bad example and I wouldn't do it with ANYTHING other than an animal of some sort because it's incredibly rude to the people that raised you buuuuuuuut......

If you have your own job, you get a paycheck, and you've worked hard for it:

I'd just buy whatever kind of fish you want as long as you can care for it and say : "OMG MOM!!!! LOOK AT MY WONDERFUL NEW FISH!!! ISN'T HE PRECIOUS?!?!?!?! :D"

I do that with stray cats all the time. XD "OH LOOK MOM! ANOTHER KITTEN! I WONDER WHERE THESE KEEP COMING FROM? YOU DON'T KNOW? WELL THAT'S A WONDERFUL SURPRISE NOW ISN'T IT?!?!?! :D"

Yeah. Back when I was hardcore caring for strays my parents knew there was no stopping me! :P lol.

If you can take care of it and you have a good way to sneak it into the house I say go for it. ;]

A lot of parents have a tendency to get used to these kinds of things. :P Like they get used to kids disobeying them and coming in too late. XD
wallywestisthebest333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 09:56 AM   #16 
Busted

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildmagic713 View Post
She'll give me the "You spent $100 on your stupid fish in three months" (It was actually about $140- shhhh, don't tell her that :P)
I spent $250+ in one day But my family knows my little fishies keep me happy and busy, so they are fine with it, and even help when I need food or want to try something. I think simply saying they make you happy will help your case ;) good luck.
Busted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 11:25 AM   #17 
wildmagic713

And the thing is, I don't know why she wouldn't let me.

My GPA is 3.667 and climbing.
I get my homework done.
I make my own food.

The only thing I have an issue with is keeping my room clean, and I'm working on that, but I still diligently keep up with water changes. I've been changing Mister Fishy's water 100% every day and adding 1.5 tsp/gallon of Epsom salt for the last 4 days with every water change because he has popeye. If he didn't have popeye the amount of money wouldn't be quite so much.

So I think I've long since proven I can take care of my pets and keep up with my priorities at the same time.

Now I just have to figure out how to talk her into it.

Maybe I'll get my BFF to help. She's coming to see me tomorrow, and she lives on the other side of the country so we only see each other once a year, and I bet she could convince my mom to let me get more fish.
wildmagic713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 02:33 PM   #18 
lilyrazen

What I did was went into petco with my dad (who loves fish and is planning to let me get unlimited bettas when we move) and saw Sunny. I just sighed and was like "Dad, I love him so much. Please! So rare..." and he said, "We'll find another," So i told him I probably wouldn't and he was like FINE, DON'T TELL GRAMA. :D
lilyrazen is offline   Reply With Quote