Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-23-2010, 09:20 AM   #1 
FallenMessiah

I think i know why he's not active =/

My Betta still just sits on top of the filter, hardly moving at all, and still not eating.

I was reading on Tropicalfishkeeping.com and it says they should not be used to cycle a tank, but i had no other choice given my lack of information caring for a fish. So i think he may be suffering. i do regular water changes, i keep a close eye on the levels...i dont know what else to do
FallenMessiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 09:29 AM   #2 
FallenMessiah

He's not taking the cycling too well and i havent got another suitable tank :( and im broke from christmas shopping and buying all these test kits for the water >.<
Old 12-23-2010, 10:09 AM   #3 
Busted

Put him in a bowl or container of some sort, and float it in the water to keep him warm. Then once the cycle is done, you can add him back.
Busted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 10:31 AM   #4 
Oldfishlady

How big is the tank, how much and how often are you changing the water, type of filtration, any live plants, water temp....can you post your water pram numbers and what stage of the nitrogen cycle are you at-how long have you had him in this set up..

Regardless of what container you have him in he will still create the byproducts-
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 01:02 PM   #5 
scootshoot

There are many who cycle their bettas in new tanks successfully. Key is partial water changes and not to overfeed.

You may just have the unfortunate luck of purchasing a betta who was sick to begin with.
scootshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 01:59 PM   #6 
Alex09

Bettas are relatively easy fish to cycle a tank with. Just do your water changes. How often are you doing them?
Alex09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 06:39 PM   #7 
gbose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted View Post
Put him in a bowl or container of some sort, and float it in the water to keep him warm. Then once the cycle is done, you can add him back.
Busted, I'm wondering how this would help. Whatever container is used would also not have been cycled, and would probably be still smaller than the tank he's in now....?

I'd say just daily water changes are probably the best option for now. How about an ammonia remover (Amquel, ammo lock?) to keep the ammonia under control? Does anyone have insight into these?

GB
gbose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 04:36 AM   #8 
FallenMessiah

Im doing water changes every second or third day, been too busy with work and xmas lately but im planning to pick that up to very second day, going to do it tomorrow at least.

He's in a 3 gallon tank which he's been in for 11 days

Filter:yes
Temp: 80F
Water conditioner: yes
Live plants: no

He's not even interested in food anyway,
Ammonia: .25
Nitrite:0
Nitrate:0
pH: 7.4
Hardness:about 5 or 6 drops till the test phial turned from blue to yellow
Alkalinity: no idea (thats included as PH?)

and my brother wants to feed him to the Oscar -.-" apparently that'll liven him up >.>
Old 12-24-2010, 11:19 AM   #9 
Oldfishlady

In a 3g filtered tank-it needs at least twice weekly 50% water changes a week and a 50% water only change with ammonia, nitrite reading over 0.25ppm to keep the water safe for him during the cycling process-one weekly substrate cleaning with one of the water changes is also needed and remove any food that he doesn't eat.
Give your filter media a swish/rinse in old tank water with a water change a couple of times a month and when the water flow slows to maintain good water flow

You may want to also check your source water for ammonia just to rule that out....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 05:28 PM   #10 
FallenMessiah

one weekly substrate cleaning?

im beginning to think he was sick to begin with. But i do believe i got him straight from the breeder cause mum had to order him in so he wasnt at the pet store long kept in those stupid little containers