Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-22-2010, 10:24 AM   #1 
fishman12

Question Tailbiting Remedy

My betta started tailbiting when I put him in his 10gal tank. It happened right after I switched water conditioners. I think it might have been my cat freaking him out, but maybe not. I added a small amount of the old water conditioner that I still had. He immediatly stopped biting his tail. He stated up and stopped again, but he messed his tail up. I was wondering what will help his tail grow back? I think aquarium salt does, but is that right? I have three live plants. Should the AQ salt or any other remedy kill the plants? Thanks in advance!
fishman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 10:38 AM   #2 
lilyrazen

You can give him daily salt baths in a separate container if you are worried about killing the plants. For fins, I'd say aquarium salt, but I've grown to using Epsom Salt because I always have some around the house. So you can give him 10-15, or even 20 minute salt baths in a separate container once or twice a day.
lilyrazen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 10:44 AM   #3 
fishman12

ok. Thanks!
Old 12-22-2010, 01:32 PM   #4 
Adastra

He really shouldn't need any treatment as long as the water is clean. Some bettas bite themselves when they're placed in a stressful situation, such as being in new surroundings. You should take the time to check the filter flow and make sure it's not strong enough to push him around. Adding lots of tall broad-leafed fake or live plants can be helpful too.

Did you complete a fishless cycle on the tank before adding him?
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 02:05 PM   #5 
fishman12

No, I didn't really know the benefits of a cycle before I got a fish. I just thought a cycle was having a filter. I'm thinking about doing a cycle, but I need to read up on it a little more. What plants (preferably live) would work?
Old 12-23-2010, 02:32 PM   #6 
newfiedragon

My fish used to be a tail biter. As soon as his tail got long enough to reach he would bite it all off again. I used aquarium salt the first few times he did it, but I've found that his tail grew back just as quickly without it.

Interestingly enough, once I bought him a pet snail, he completely stopped biting his tail. He hasn't done any damage to it for months now. I guess he just needed a buddy to talk to! lol
newfiedragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 02:39 PM   #7 
fishman12

That's interesting. Thanks for the info.
Old 12-23-2010, 04:07 PM   #8 
LikeDiscoSuperfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfiedragon View Post
My fish used to be a tail biter. As soon as his tail got long enough to reach he would bite it all off again. I used aquarium salt the first few times he did it, but I've found that his tail grew back just as quickly without it.

Interestingly enough, once I bought him a pet snail, he completely stopped biting his tail. He hasn't done any damage to it for months now. I guess he just needed a buddy to talk to! lol
Heyy, good to know. Mine stopped when I turned my filter up a bit, but has started again. I might have to suck it up and get a snail, they just kinda scare me. lol!
LikeDiscoSuperfly is offline   Reply With Quote