Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-24-2010, 02:18 PM   #21 
Ademsoar

Alright well what kind of water do you use?
What kind of conditioner do you use?
Do you have a heater for the tank?
Have you ever tested the water you use to see what the levels are?
What size is the tank?
Are there any live plants in the tank?
Have you ever used aquarium salt?

You can try feeding him live brine shrimp as they are high in fiber after fasting him for a couple of days. Maybe go to the store and buy some epsom salt try treating him with that for a few days. Other than that maybe try switching up his diet with some bloodworms a few times a week. Good luck!
Ademsoar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 06:26 PM   #22 
BettaBee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ademsoar View Post
Alright well what kind of water do you use?
What kind of conditioner do you use?
Do you have a heater for the tank?
Have you ever tested the water you use to see what the levels are?
What size is the tank?
Are there any live plants in the tank?
Have you ever used aquarium salt?

You can try feeding him live brine shrimp as they are high in fiber after fasting him for a couple of days. Maybe go to the store and buy some epsom salt try treating him with that for a few days. Other than that maybe try switching up his diet with some bloodworms a few times a week. Good luck!
I use tap water; if it would make much of a difference, I can try a few water changes using bottled spring water. I'm using Aqueon water conditioner. Yes, I have a heater... No, haven't tested any levels. Tank size is 2.5 gallons, no live plants, never used aquarium salt.

Bee's still pretty lethargic; he's still laying at the bottom of his tank and only comes up for air. He does still seem to have his appetite, though.
BettaBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 08:19 PM   #23 
BettaBee

Alrighty, I think we're in the clear. Shortly after my last post, Bee chirped up a bit and is no longer lying at the bottom of his tank. I think Creat hit the nail on the head with the water being bad. His fins are still clamped and his coloring is still the same as in the last few pictures I've posted, but at least he's a tad more active than before!

I'll continue to monitor him closely throughout the next couple of days and I'll update sometime after that. In the meantime, if anyone has any ideas as to why Bee's belly is turning pearly white, please let me know; it's still really, really worrying me!
BettaBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 08:28 PM   #24 
Creat

I have no clue why his belly is lightening and I'm glad that he is perking up a bit. Clamped fins and lightening of color are obvious signs of stress but it sounds as if you are doing everything correct doing the water changes. Make sure the water stays near 80 degrees F. I would switch to the spring water for week or so and see if he unclamps his fins although they look fine in the pictures. You could have something wrong in your tap such as ammonia or something else. There would be no harm in switching. But since he is new he still has some getting used to his new environment and this is probably playing into the lethargy.

Last edited by Creat; 12-24-2010 at 08:31 PM.
Creat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 11:33 PM   #25 
Ademsoar

Hey Bee, try adding some aquarium salt if you get the chance, any pet store will have it. Salt does many things for fish, in small quantities for Bettas, here just a little excerpt.

"A fish also uses the salt in other ways. The chloride ions, in addition to use to inhibit nitrite uptake are used in the production of hydrochloric acid - used for food digestion. Sodium ions are used for cell metabolism in a unique way, called "active transport". Not all materials can move freely into an animals' cells. Some require "help", and sodium ions are part of the help, particularly in the movement of potassium, which is used in fluid/electrolyte balance, muscle contraction, and nerve impulse conduction. This type of transport also occurs in humans, too."

It could help with his movement, epsom salt is used to treat bloating and reduces swelling, etc.
Ademsoar is offline   Reply With Quote