Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-24-2010, 07:52 PM   #11 
Littlecloud

Do you have any ideas for small hiding spots I can make my bettas? I want places for them to retreat to
Littlecloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 09:53 AM   #12 
Littlecloud

Thank you for your helpful feedback. AquaSapphire, the only betta currently, is in my tank. She seems to be fighting against the current of the filter I have in there. Is this OK? Is she in danger of getting hurt?
Old 12-25-2010, 10:02 AM   #13 
Littlecloud

Red face

AquaSapphire is fighting against the current of her filter in her new tank. I am worried that she could get hurt. Is this OK? Will she be all right?
Old 12-25-2010, 10:52 AM   #14 
Malvolti

If your fish is fighting the current then it is too strong. Try to turn it down if you can or baffle it (obstruct the flow with something).
Malvolti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 12:41 PM   #15 
Panthera

Buy some aquarium sponge and rubberband it around where the water comes out. Don't buffer it too much though, you still need to see some rippling on the surface, otherwise the filter won't work. Its kind of hard to tell in the pic, but she's either a Delta or a Halfmoon. Very pretty, love the Turquoise color :D

What size tank and how many females are you going to have? Make sure to pack the plants and everything else in like a jungle, the girls like it crowded.
Panthera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 12:45 PM   #16 
Littlecloud

Sorry, I was over reacting a bit. She wasn't fighting it, I wrote that when we just put her in and she wasnt used to it. She preferred to stick to the calmer waters. She can rest there. Sadly, my betta died. She was swimming peacefully in the morning, then I came back and she was dead. She died peacefully, like she was sleeping on the bottom of the tank. Do you think she died of old age? We had her for 4 months.
Old 12-25-2010, 12:54 PM   #17 
Littlecloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panthera View Post
Buy some aquarium sponge and rubberband it around where the water comes out. Don't buffer it too much though, you still need to see some rippling on the surface, otherwise the filter won't work. Its kind of hard to tell in the pic, but she's either a Delta or a Halfmoon. Very pretty, love the Turquoise color :D

What size tank and how many females are you going to have? Make sure to pack the plants and everything else in like a jungle, the girls like it crowded.

Thanks that's a great idea with the sponge! I'll have to try it some time if my sorority needs it. It's not bad though once the bettas get adjusted. Yeah she must have been a half moon. Yeah I really liked the color and I hope to get lots of colors for my sorority. When I get them I'll take pics! We have a 10 gallon tank and we are going to have 5-8 females, depending on how Many healthy, vibrant, female girls we can find (it's hard to get girls around here) be cause not many people want girls so there are not a lot and they are not restocked often. I plan on getting more plants and some small terra cotta pots, and I have a question(I know I have a lot) does it matter whether the plants are living or dead? And how do you take care of live plants?
Old 12-25-2010, 01:40 PM   #18 
baylee767

Well dead plants are rotton and add ammonia to the tank. Or do you mean fake plants?

If you mean fake or real plants, you only need fake. IMO real look better. For hiding places you can do some of the classic ones. Small flower pot in the gravel, you can buy a piece of driftwood with lots of little holes and nooks, and you could get a few tank ornaments, like the stone tunnels and stuff with holes in them sold at fishstores.

IMO plants can make up 80% of your cover. You still need a few holes for them to hide in the dark, though.
baylee767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 08:20 PM   #19 
Littlecloud

Sadly, AquaSapphire died on Christmas (Dec 25th) but now I have three new ones, Ariel, Ailyn, and Nyoko, who I am going to add to the tank tomorrow (I will have a couple more by then) Are there any ways to make shelters without buying anything, other than flowerpots?
Old 12-26-2010, 09:03 PM   #20 
Sweeda88

Coffee mugs work well. Just make sure you rinse them very thoroughly in hot water.
Sweeda88 is offline   Reply With Quote