Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-09-2010, 07:46 PM   #1 
shell85

help diagnose the problem

It all started a few weeks ago with my oldest betta his stomach looked swollen figured it was constipation because it looked like he had a little strand of poop that didn't want to quite come out in his abdomen so I fasted and even gave him daphnia but his belly still looked bloated. I have gone through several fastings with him and his belly still is big. Eventually he started pooping but it looked stringy and pale and there still looks like he has unreleased poop and its been about 3 weeks now. He isn't pineconing or anything (thank goodness) nor is he laying around but he does move slow when flaring compared to my other 2 bettas. I have no idea what to do with him.
shell85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 08:00 PM   #2 
bettablue

well the only thing I can think of is to feed him a pea, it is said to help constipation. Also maybe turning the heat up would help speed up his metabolism and get him to digest quicker.
bettablue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 08:14 PM   #3 
Oldfishlady

If you have been doing regular water changes and maintaining water quality-ruled out internal parasites- I would QT and do an Epsom salt 1tsp/gal(Not aquarium salt) 10 day treatment along with 100% daily water changes and see if that won't clear him up-it can take 24 hour to 5 days but a full 10 day should be done...hold food for the first 3 days and then offer half feedings every other day during the 10 day treatment
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 07:04 PM   #4 
shell85

update: he poops normally now but the swelling is still there and and looks a bit worst. he's losing color and he looks a bit skinnier. He damaged his tail a while back and it doesnt even look like its growing back.

I'm out of a hospital tank because it got damaged where it can't even hold water is it ok to try to treat him in his regular tank?
Old 12-24-2010, 11:28 PM   #5 
shell85

hello? he moves a lot slower now and i catch him laying around in his log alot now
Old 12-24-2010, 11:47 PM   #6 
Ademsoar

Please fill this out and try to take pictures, be very specific on how he is moving as well when he swims to the surface and how he returns back down

Housing
What size is your tank?
What temperature is your tank?
Does your tank have a filter?
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Is your tank heated?
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
How often do you feed your betta fish?

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change?
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
What type and BRAND of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
How old is your fish (approximately)?
Ademsoar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 12:23 AM   #7 
shell85

Housing
What size is your tank? 5 gal
What temperature is your tank? 76-87 degrees
Does your tank have a filter? yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? new life spectra pellets, frozen brine shrimp and daphnia
How often do you feed your betta fish? 3 pellets twice a day with a fasting period but have given him about 2 a day now with several feeding breaks

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? twice a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50%
What type and BRAND of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Prime water conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? not sure testing kits don't change color anymore.

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? bloated and loss of color
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? he moves a lot slower ans just sits motionless in some places either lays in his betta log or floats near the heater.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? About 5 weeks ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Started fasting him because I thought it was over feeding. His belly still looked swollen so i started feeding him pellets soaked in garlic guard
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No
How old is your fish (approximately)? had him for 4 months not quite sure his age because he's a store bought betta
Old 12-26-2010, 12:32 AM   #8 
Malvolti

An 11 degree temp difference? I'm hoping that is typo but a change that big could explain the problem.

Everything else you're doing looks fine to me.

It could be internal parasites but I'm not sure how to treat those. I believe there are special foods you can buy.

As long as there are no other fish in the tank treating him in there should be fine. If you have live plants treatments may damage them but you could always take them out and put them in a bucket of water near a window.
Malvolti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 12:51 AM   #9 
shell85

my bad i meant 76-78 typo.
Old 12-26-2010, 06:58 PM   #10 
Ademsoar

Quote:
Originally Posted by shell85 View Post
my bad i meant 76-78 typo.
Ok well so far it seems like everything is okay. It could possibly be depression in the fish, has he ever had any tank mates or been moved recently to a different spot?

Can you possibly take a picture of the fish?
And are his movements specific in any way or just lethargic and lazy like?
Is his poo normal, and do you have any plants that could have decayed leaves he ate?
Ademsoar is offline   Reply With Quote