Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-23-2010, 12:26 AM   #1 
jessiepbg

Cat Proofing

I've got a 10 gallon tank with a hood and a cat who's nice and warm in the winter. Unfortunately, he likes to stick his paw in my tank and scoop as much water out as he can. I'm trying to think of a set-up to protect my fish from this ridiculous cat so I don't have to lock him out of my room. He doesn't care about watching the fish at all, it's all about splashing water. The hood is heavy enough to keep him from knocking it over, but there's two big open spaces where the heater and filter are. The best idea I've been able to come up with is wire mesh stuck in each hole. Does anyone have ingenious cat-proofing ideas or is that my best bet?
jessiepbg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 11:15 AM   #2 
FishyFriend1

i would say that the wire mesh is your best bet. but i don't have a cat so i wouldn't know.
FishyFriend1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 06:50 PM   #3 
Lion Mom

Does he have his claws? If so, they may get caught in/on wire mesh. If he is declawed, I would think your wire mesh idea would probably work.
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 06:58 PM   #4 
FishyFriend1

even if he does have claws, if the mesh has small enough holes it shouldn't be an issue right?
FishyFriend1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 07:03 PM   #5 
sjones

I would try to divert the cat to a funner toy, something else he can splash in, one of those cat water fountain or something
sjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 10:38 PM   #6 
jessiepbg

Lol, my floor would be completely soaked if I gave him something to splash in. He loves to just sit and scoop all the water out of bowls as quickly as he can. We finally gave up and taught him to drink out of a hamster water bottle because he wouldn't even leave anything for himself to drink. He doesn't have claws, but he's pretty ingenious. I've got a plastic needlepoint mesh over the openings right now and he hasn't been able to do anything.
Old 12-26-2010, 11:16 PM   #7 
ParisRose

I have three cats but only one tries to get at mine. I just try to set up ways for the cat not to get near it. I have my ten gal on my tall dresser with a lid to a plastic tub attached to the dresser blocking the way for the cat to get to the tank. Before that I woke up one morning and my cat was snoozing... on top of my tank.
ParisRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 11:20 PM   #8 
jessiepbg

Lol, they'll sleep anywhere they want to.