Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-26-2010, 10:38 AM   #1 
Miggy10

Broken Tank

I know a guy thats selling me a 40G tank but i has a crack at the bottom which leaks. I was wondering if i could cover it up with plexie glass?
Miggy10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 11:13 AM   #2 
Busted

I wouldn't risk it. If you was to get it you should take it somewhere that could replace the cracked glass. And the crack being on the bottom means its taking the weight of the water and substrate, and 40 gallons of water is not fun to clean up.
Busted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 11:22 AM   #3 
wallywestisthebest333

Well you can't use the tank for fish but you could use it for a hamster or something. Maybe a garden snake?

You definitely can't use it for fish though. :[ Sorry. I'd look elsewhere for a tank. Craigslist has some great tanks for sale sometimes. I found a 20 gallon for $19 a few weeks ago. I didn't buy it but it was right down the street. You never know what you might find. =]

Also go to auctions in your area on weekend mornings! =] I've seen tanks go for way less than they're worth. =] Also if you live somewhere like California or a really urban place you can check out Free Cycle (or FreeCycle, can't remember how you spell it), or a thrift store like Good Will or something like that. =] Sometimes they have smaller tanks. =]

Good luck on finding a tank! =]
wallywestisthebest333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 11:31 PM   #4 
crezelda

cracked tanks are almost allways sold off as reptile or rodent enclosures, but i would not sudgest a tank for rodents as the walls trap in ammonia fumes, but can be acceptable if the room is well ventilated and you change the substrate enough, especially as a breeder bin where you don't want pinkies slipping thru the wires of conventional rodent cages. But if you want to go industrial with rodent breeding, well that's another forum completely lol.
crezelda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 01:02 AM   #5 
Roos

Correct me if I'm wrong (I'm only a few days into the hobby :p), but I was at the pet store today buying supplies and I happened to glance over some silicone in the fish section. I didn't read it or anything but I'd assume it would be safe to use. While the crack would weaken the bottom plate, doing a quick DIY jobbie wouldn't be too hard. Just go to your nearest Glazier (Glass/window retailer) and give them some measurements and purpose. Use the silicon to re-seal it. Again this is just a guess as I didn't read the silicone' label. Might be cheaper then buying a whole new tank too.
Roos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 01:05 AM   #6 
Malvolti

You could use the silicone to seal the crack but it would never hold the weight of the water. You could probably try getting a piece of plexiglass cut to the right size but again it probably won't hold the weight of the water. A glazier might be able to fix it but theres no garauntee it would be water tight.
Malvolti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 01:23 AM   #7 
crezelda

the sillicone might be for attaching and modifying accessories?

.... maybe someone in your sorority wants to stand out a little? ( sorry, had to)
crezelda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 01:28 AM   #8 
Malvolti

Quote:
Originally Posted by crezelda View Post
the sillicone might be for attaching and modifying accessories?

.... maybe someone in your sorority wants to stand out a little? ( sorry, had to)

Pretty much...about the fixing things, not the other part. Also good for resealing seams that spring leaks but not really meant to glue an entire panel together.
Malvolti is offline   Reply With Quote