Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-27-2010, 03:23 AM   #1 
Toshichi

Help, I think my betta fish is afraid of me?

It runs away from me with I put my finger to the tank. and it hides. Also it rammed into the side of the tank a few times. But when I leave it alone for a bit it is fine and swimming around just fine.

I just got it today for a christmas present, and I have read some things about the betta fish already, but I haven't been able to find out how to calm the fish down with any inexpensive natural method. (I dont have allot of money)

Have I done something wrong and scared it or does it just need time to adapt still, and will it be ok after hitting itself on the tank?

I love the little guy already I just want to make sure he'll be ok.
Toshichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 08:53 AM   #2 
Malvolti

He just doesn't know you yet. My Betta does the same thing when strangers are around. Give him a few days to warm up to you and get comfortable.
Malvolti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 11:15 AM   #3 
HayrideHaunter

I've had mine, Marbles, for just over a week now, and he STILL hides from me. He's a very skittish little thing...but give him a couple weeks and before you know it he'll come right over when he sees you =D
HayrideHaunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 11:20 AM   #4 
kelly528

... does he have a cave to hide in? Providing them with shelter such as caves and plants is crucial. If you give him secure places to hide, he will get over it eventually and before you know it he will be zooming up to investigate whenever you look in his tank :)
kelly528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 11:21 AM   #5 
LucyLoofa

Yep. Just let him get used to seeing you.
And try not to stick your fingers in the water just yet until he's used to seeing that that is where his food comes from.
He'll warm up to you soon enough.
Also Kelly makes a very good point. :) A cave will do wonders for him.
LucyLoofa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 12:15 PM   #6 
cesitlie95

I got my Betta fish for Christmas too! :) ..One of the best Christmas presents i got.

At first my little guy was afraid but it's been three days now and he's warmed up. I think its because I interact with him when I feed him. I tap the glass a little and he floats to the top. He associates me with food now so he's not afraid.
cesitlie95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 12:52 PM   #7 
chargers505

I'm afraid to say this, but it might seem like that's just your fish's personality. That's why before I purchase a Betta, I try to check out his personality. You can tell a lot by just holding him up.
chargers505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 01:52 PM   #8 
scootshoot

Ease up on him. He may have been a fresh transfer from the Warehouse to the Petshop and still getting acclimated.

Eventually he will associate you with FOOD.
scootshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 02:05 PM   #9 
LucyLoofa

Quote:
Originally Posted by scootshoot View Post
Ease up on him. He may have been a fresh transfer from the Warehouse to the Petshop and still getting acclimated.

Eventually he will associate you with FOOD.
Yerp.
This is definitely always the case.
Even with the "skiddish" ones from the store... they always eventually associate you with food. Which in turn means you are their shiny golden god of prosperity.
It will love you soon, no worries.
Just be sure to read all the stickys on these forums and give it the best care you can.
That way he'll be happy AND healthy.
LucyLoofa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 02:21 PM   #10 
jessiepbg

Just give him space the first day or two. Feed him, but try not to spend a lot of time too close to the glass. After he's settled into his home, wait until feeding time. Lightly touch your finger on the glass and trace a line from where he is to his feeding spot, then drop a piece of food in for him. Let him find the food for himself before repeating. The first couple times, he'll skitter away when he sees your finger touch the glass near him, but bettas are smart fish. After a few days, he'll notice the pattern and start following your finger. After he associates people near him with food, he'll be more likely to come up and investigate you when you get near the glass, rather than running away. My older betta will follow me in circles around his 10 gallon, just waiting for the food to drop.
jessiepbg is offline   Reply With Quote