Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-27-2010, 04:20 AM   #1 
FallenMessiah

Possible Saprolegnia?

Axl has a white cottony, fluffy substance on his tail. noticed it this morning during a water change. he has moved around the tank a bit more today he spent some time at the bottom. I cant get anything to help him because theres a load of public holidays and nothings open >.< plus when i get out from work the shops are closed anyway, so i cant get anything till thursday and by then it might be too late!

Housing

What size is your tank? 3 gallon
What temperature is your tank? 80 F
Does your tank have a filter? Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? yes
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? He hasnt eaten at all since ive had him, not even frozen bloodworms
How often do you feed your betta fish? I try him everyday

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? Daily
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50% this morning was more 75%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: .25
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
pH: 7.4
Hardness: 3
Alkalinity: (How do you test for this?)

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? His face has multi colours, His main colour is orange but his face has pale patches (i believe this is his natural colouring)
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? He moved around a bit more today but otherwise no. He sits on top of the filter or heater suction cup all the time
When did you start noticing the symptoms? He's been lethargic since i got him, first i thought it was stress from the new tank but he's been like this for two weeks now
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? i dont know what to treat him with, something for stress? Aquarium salt?
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Not that im aware
How old is your fish (approximately)?6 months to a year i think
FallenMessiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 10:47 AM   #2 
kelly528

Eek! Bacterial infections spread quick, so act fast. Hopefully some shops will be open today, but there are some things you can do right away to help:

1) Turn the heat down to 76 or so.
2) Keep up with the water changes.
3) Salt the water with aquarium salt or any salt that does not have iodine, anti-caking agents, etc.

If you can get to a store:

4) Buy some Maracyn (not Maracyn 2) or any antibiotic that says it will treat gram positive bacterial or "body fungus", "cotton wool", etc. (Don't buy melafix, it's no good for bettas)
5) Buy some other foods to tempt him... his refusal to eat is a problem. Try tubifex worms, daphnia, brine shrimp or krill.
kelly528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 01:20 AM   #3 
FallenMessiah

Shops were open today....they closed at 4 and i was at work till 5 >.< his fungus is almost covering a 3rd of his tail in 24 hours! whats another 24 hours gonna do to him? is there anyway i can remove it?
FallenMessiah is offline   Reply With Quote