Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-27-2010, 05:20 PM   #1 
Tsuhei

Heater??

Alright, as some of you may know, I'm getting an import from Thailand! HOORAY! However, I have a little dilemma: I don't have a heater quite yet...

First off, I was supposed to get a 4.5 gallon tank for only $15 from someone locally off of craigslist...however, she decided to go on vacation the exact same day she said I could pick it up, so I can't get it until January 3rd when she gets back.

Since my new gold DTPK is coming within a few days, I'm going to house him temporarily in my 1.5 gallon tank (Tetra). Now, I have a few concerns...I was going to get another Marineland 25 watt adjustable heater, but all of the pet stores in my area don't carry them anymore... and since I'll be switching to a 4.5 gallon tank, I'm still not exactly sure what kind of heater I can get that can go from a 1.5 gallon tank to a 4.5 gallon tank and be able to heat it around 79-80F.

Note: I'm not really fond of non-adjustable heaters... I don't like to feel like I'm not in control of everything in my tank...

However, if some recommend a certain kind of heater (from Petsmart or Petco, they're both relatively close to my house), adjustable or non, I would greatly appreciate it...!

Summary: New betta in few days, temporary 1.5 gallon tank for 1 week until 4.5 gallon tank = what kind of heater to buy?
Tsuhei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 02:10 AM   #2 
Tsuhei

Bump. Seriously, guys. He's coming in 1-2 days.
Old 12-28-2010, 02:15 AM   #3 
baylee767

I don't think Arizona's too cold....

But if it's warm enough in your area 25 watts adjustable will work just fine. Several people have told me that it's best to do 5 watts per gallon. or, if you don't trust it still, you could buy 2 heaters.
baylee767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 02:23 AM   #4 
Tsuhei

Quote:
Originally Posted by baylee767 View Post
I don't think Arizona's too cold....

But if it's warm enough in your area 25 watts adjustable will work just fine. Several people have told me that it's best to do 5 watts per gallon. or, if you don't trust it still, you could buy 2 heaters.
Actually it can get in the 40's during the winter nights It's been in the 50-60's on average though...

Well I can't actually find another 25 watt adjustable heater...like I said, every pet store that carried them in my area no longer has 25 watt adjustable heaters...so I'm not sure if I can get like, a 50 watt adjustable since it's going in a 4.5 gallon tank soon anyway...or the nonadjustable 25 watt submersible one from Topfin, I believe...I just don't know how reliable they are, especially in a larger 4.5 gallon tank...and it only heats to 78F...I like it at 79-80...
Old 12-28-2010, 02:40 AM   #5 
baylee767

Maybe you can order it online...?
baylee767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 02:43 AM   #6 
MrVampire181

Linda said she can hold them until next week if the buyer needs to. I'd get a hang on heater....they're cheap and work well.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 02:54 AM   #7 
Tsuhei

Quote:
Originally Posted by baylee767 View Post
Maybe you can order it online...?
Well, like I said, the betta is coming in a few days, so an online order wouldn't do...

@MrVampire181: I really don't want to wait that long for the new fishie! xD And what's a hang on heater? I don't think they sell them at petsmart or petco...

Let me rephrase my question, then: Out of the stock on Petsmart and Petco, what would be the most "versatile" heater I could get that won't turn my new fishie into boiled fishie

I was going to get the Marineland 50 watt adjustable heater...but I hesitated when I saw the topfin nonadjustable heater (25 watts)....I really want an adjustable heater though, but I want some confirmation if my desire is a good or bad idea...
Old 12-28-2010, 09:42 AM   #8 
leaveittoweaver

Since you're only looking for something temporary, I suggest one of these:
http://www.petco.com/product/102227/...FishFC_Heaters
Or one of these:
http://www.petco.com/product/102603/...FishFC_Heaters

I know a lot of people don't seem to care for these since they aren't adjustable, but I've never had a problem with this heater, and it's cheap:
http://www.petco.com/product/114078/...FishFC_Heaters
leaveittoweaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 09:53 AM   #9 
shinybetta

You could buy a 5 gallon rubbermaid tub, clear type, for temporary housing. I've had a male in a rubbermaid for a month or two and he likes it better than a normal tank. I got a 10 gallon rubbermaid for like 5$. Also get the long shallow type. My betta's love it because it reminds them of their shallow habitat in the wild.

Edit: I highly recommend the last heater leaveittoweaver suggested. It is the only heater I use! And really Cheap!

Last edited by shinybetta; 12-28-2010 at 09:56 AM.
shinybetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 05:13 PM   #10 
Tsuhei

Well I already have a 1.5 gallon tank...I don't want to spend a lot of money for something temporary (like a new tank..I'm getting a 4.5 gallon soon). So the Tetra is 50 watts and nonadjustable...would it still be okay to put in my 1.5 gallon while I waited for the person to sell me the 4.5 gallon? =s (I'll have it on January 3rd...put into use the 4th after cleaning and water-holding testing...)

Last edited by Tsuhei; 12-28-2010 at 05:23 PM.