Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-28-2010, 10:12 AM   #1 
kholder

Filter Media Question

Copied and pasted from another post...hoping for some input on this.

... a couple of weeks ago I set up a 5 gal. tank. The 5 gal. tank filter uses the same model filter cartridge as my 10 gal. tank. I took the the old filter cartridge from the 10 gal. and put it into the 5 gal. and put the brand new filter cartridge into the already up and running (3 mo. old) 10 gal. tank.

Did I mess up my 10 gal. by doing this? At any time is it appropriate to change to a new, unused filter cartridge? Should I never change to a new cartridge, just simply rinse and reuse the old one?

There is a secondary type of media in the filter, more like a nylon type filter (kind of like a pot scrubber). This has not been changed and I have read in the manual that came with the filter to never wash it. I haven't.
kholder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 01:54 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

On a mature tank-you can usually change out the filter media without a problem, however, I would watch for any ammonia spikes and maybe make an extra water only change between regular water changes to be safe if you don't have water testing products on hand.

Unless you are wanting to use carbon you don't need to change out the filter media until it is falling apart IMO-if you want to use carbon and it is part of the sponge-you will need to change this out every 3-4 weeks or as the package directs-carbon is only active for a short time-if the carbon and sponge are separate then just change the carbon as directed and give the sponge a swish/rinse in old tank water a couple of times a month and when the water flow slows to maintain good water flow

The Bio-ball type media-you don't need to change this, however, sometimes it needs a rinse in old tank water so that it has good water flow throughout the bio material otherwise the good bacteria can die without the needed oxygen.
The type you have being a pad may not ever need a rinse...I would follow their direction.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
filter