Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-28-2010, 12:14 PM   #11 
DormDrax

*Taking notes*

And would Cories or Platies pester Drax? and I mean that in the friendly way lol I think I can honestly say Drax is probably a softy aggression wise (cept for when he bit me but I've made peace with that >,>) so take that into consideration...
DormDrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 12:42 PM   #12 
Alex09

Cories will leave him alone... Though they are social and should have buddies of their own kind (preferably the same variety) to interact with. You should look into the different varieties. I think the cutest are Julii cories, skunk cories, and panda cories. They are small and very docile. They are fun to watch - especially when they interact or during feeding time when they start zooming all over the place.

Platies should be peaceful as well. My platies can get aggressive with eachother during feeding time (they act like starved piranhas!) but they leave my betta alone. When I feed them I sometimes have to put a pellet or bloodworm right in front of my betta so the platies dont get a chance to steal it lol. They are very fun. When I stick a finger in the tank they all gang up, swim really fast towards my finger (I move it around the water so they chase it) and start pecking me. I like to think of it as "kissing" LOL.

Last edited by Alex09; 12-28-2010 at 12:46 PM.
Alex09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 02:31 PM   #13 
fredythefish

My platies get along with my betta. They usually just stick to themselves. I got them to color cordinate with my guy though.
fredythefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 04:51 PM   #14 
DormDrax

Now Cories... these are like... Cory Catfish right? Just want to make sure I'm looking up the right variety...

Don't fret I'm looking at Platies too just seeing what I consider "Most interesting" looking.
Old 12-28-2010, 05:35 PM   #15 
DormDrax

AH!
Those guys! The PetSmart guy (The one I speak highly of as being really knowledgeable, and not just trying to SELL) showed me the Cories like Salt and Pepper Cories, Albino Cories etc...

Going back and forth between images... Platies are cute but the Cories just have that .... well but the Platies are colorful... Oooohhh! I want them all!

Here I thought getting a 10Gal would be so huge for me to take care of and here I havent even stocked it and I've sorta run out of space... Spoke to mom who actually had fish before when she was little she actually remember's having Kuhli Loaches and Cories (Apparently my Grandfather had a awesome fishtank back in the... I dunno mid 60's).

So she is sorta of leaning towards Loaches and Cories... because they clean and she remembers them being so fun to watch (Hehehe *Evil* Yes mother give into Nostalgia and fond memories you WANT more fish...)

Sorry Platies... just Drax is rarely on the bottom... well... I feel as if he'd want little as possible interaction so Platies might un nerve him. The Platies are the most colorful but thats it... Like Betta's fight and got great fins... Loaches and Cories have whiskers and Platies..... *Shrugs* Maybe I just prefer fish that don't look so 'OnO' But if you've got a few chill Loaches just chilling out or Cories hovering around he'd probably enjoy swimming over them...

So... Kuhili Loaches or (Possibly AND) Cories? As for Cories... whats the most colorful type or... most personality rich?... if thats possible... I've read that Kuhli Loaches can be quite the clowns! Which excites me! Plus they look like snakes!

DRAX UPDATE!
... you sure I'm not starving him from knocking his intake down... now when I feed him I swear he's just being FRANTIC if he misses the food he flips out and can't find it right away (Cuz it's ALWAYS just above his head out of his sight plus I think he doesn't have good depth guaging cuz of his eye). He just seems........ HUNGRY and already today I've fed him 2 Pellets, 1FDBW, then around noon gave him 1 pellet and 1FDBW which is threw up... if thats possible he ate it... wandered around... then just started hacking up bits of the FDBW... (I really think he HATES those things) and flared at me (Oh he knows it's me whose doing this) so I gave him a Pellet which he roared for...

Now at around dinner time (6pm) I gave him 1 pellet and then I figured........... I can't help it guys! He just acts like he's starving now XP.... and... *Glances at tank* he's STILL sitting at the top where I feed him with his head lookin up at the water surface waiting...
Is it possible he just has a fast metabolism? He has been REALLY active (His speed, energy, and personality have easily gone up over 500% since his vase days). I mean if I just space the food out maybe 2 pellts morning... then 1 pellet every couple hours then 2 at dinner? Just mom is all "Oh look at him! He wants food!" ...... *Glances* YUP he's STILL waitin and no he's not sleeping >,> because I tapped the tank and he didn't react (No he's alive and no I only tap if I'm SURE he's paying attention to me because then he doesn't seem to mind and or care I do it with the Tweezers to let him know it's feeding time).
Old 12-28-2010, 08:42 PM   #16 
fredythefish

it's ok, i won't hate you forever for not choosing platies.

and about the food. my most active guy, Jasper, doesn't eat that much, i'll give him a pellet and then he'll swim away. but my other guy, Fredy, who is still active, just not as fast (tisk tisk), will eat 2 in the morning and then beg me for one a couple hours later. Then he gets two or three in the evening and he's perfectly fine..

I don't know if that information actually helped but, there you go anyways :)
fredythefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 09:30 PM   #17 
DormDrax

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredythefish View Post
it's ok, i won't hate you forever for not choosing platies.

and about the food. my most active guy, Jasper, doesn't eat that much, i'll give him a pellet and then he'll swim away. but my other guy, Fredy, who is still active, just not as fast (tisk tisk), will eat 2 in the morning and then beg me for one a couple hours later. Then he gets two or three in the evening and he's perfectly fine..

I don't know if that information actually helped but, there you go anyways :)
It did actually... I guess Betta's eat just like people... some don't eat much but are active, some eat alot but are lazy and never gain a pound, and so on...

Just I sort of cut his intake in half and now he just attacks the food rather than eat it, I have to be fast to drop it in now otherwise he leaps out of the tank to get at it haha if he landed in the Food container he'd probably be in heaven XD "FOOOOOD GLORIOUS FOOOOOOD!"
So I feel maybe he just burns through alot more, had him pretty much a month now and he's never bloated... well once but that was when my mom was still feeding him to be nice (Oh she's fallen in love with Drax haha she thinks he's so cute) and we didn't tell eachother we had already fed him... then again I DOUBT Drax would have complained XD
Old 12-28-2010, 09:33 PM   #18 
DormDrax

Oh a side note... well actually to get back on topic...

(Don't worry I'm sane now compared to my first few posts on this thread.)

It's REALLY down to the Loaches or Cories...

*Going back and forth*
Cories are little catfish!

Oooh but Loaches... look like snakes!

Cories... so laid back!

Loaches... so many people say their like little clowns with their antics!

UGH!!!!!!
*Throws Betta pellets all over and then gets attacked by Drax* ACK! NOT THE FACE!
Old 12-28-2010, 09:34 PM   #19 
Sweeda88

Loaches can get really big. I wouldn't put them in a 10 gallon.
Sweeda88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 09:44 PM   #20 
DormDrax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweeda88 View Post
Loaches can get really big. I wouldn't put them in a 10 gallon.
Kuhli Loaches only get to be around 4inches...

Dojo Loaches... which is what I originally wanted get to be around a foot and yes THOSE would be too big.