Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-29-2010, 03:28 PM   #1 
BIGMAYES

Just switched to sand tank still cloudy

Im awaiting a betta fish from thailand and this will be his new home im just concerned about how milky the water still is after a day of settling, i rinsed off the sand before hand and turned off the filter anything else i can do?
BIGMAYES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 03:47 PM   #2 
chargers505

has the tank been cycled?
chargers505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 09:03 PM   #3 
Oldfishlady

I would make some back to back water changes until it clears.....sometimes it can take 4-5 or more...try and not disturb the sand when you re-fill...I use my free hand and pour the water over it and this helps some...wait 24h and then turn the filter on if it cleared...if not...do more water changes....don't forget the dechlorinator on the finial fill if on city water supply...

Welcome to he forum by the way...hope to see some pics of your new Betta when you get him and hear more about him too...
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 09:33 PM   #4 
Fawnleaf

Thats odd... I actually changed to sand today and within an hour the cloudiness was gone, and I added my fishies back in. Assuming that the sand is not affecting the water differently than mine is, I would say that it may have something to do with the tank itself. Maybe the fact it is not cycled, or the water. I'm not quite sure, but I would be surprised if it was the sand alone.
Fawnleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 09:47 PM   #5 
baylee767

I think it has to do with how well you wash out the sand.

Or, if the grains are fine, it will take much longer to settle than if the grains are thick.

Just a couple of reasons it could be cloudy...
baylee767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 09:56 PM   #6 
Creat

I washed my sand before I put it in too and I still get that problem. I leave the filter on though and it clears up faster. I also use 2 layers of padding in my filters the problem is the dust particles dont settle and I try am trying to get it out of the water column faster.
Creat is offline   Reply With Quote