Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-29-2010, 08:19 PM   #1 
Tsuhei

New Gold DTPK...However...

...his pectorals seem to be impaired and severely damaged. The scales on his head and one on his side are damaged as well, along with a small piece of dorsal missing. In fact, his damaged pectorals seem to be hindering his swimming ability...soo...

CALLING OLDFISHLADY AND MRVAMPIRE

**WARNING PIC HEAVY**

Tsuhei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 08:32 PM   #2 
dramaqueen
Banned

Aww, he's pretty! Can he make it to the top for air?
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 08:33 PM   #3 
Tsuhei

Quote:
Originally Posted by dramaqueen View Post
Aww, he's pretty! Can he make it to the top for air?
Very, very slowly. He has to angle himself in a direct and vertical angle to make it. Sometimes he takes several breaths in a row. His gills are straining and he's breathing quite rapidly. I may need to lower the water level for him, but I don't wanna freak him out even more. At least his gills are better looking than when he was in the little baggie about 5 hours ago...

RANT: USPS was supposed to drop him off at my door..they shoved him in my cold mailbox! Poor guy...he had a heat packet, but he was still chilly. I'm p*ssed...and already complaining to their customer service.
Old 12-29-2010, 08:45 PM   #4 
sjones

I'd say lower the water level significantly if he is having a hard time swimming for air, or put him in a shallow qt tank for the time being
sjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 08:49 PM   #5 
Tsuhei

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjones View Post
I'd say lower the water level significantly if he is having a hard time swimming for air, or put him in a shallow qt tank for the time being
Noted. Lowering the water level right now...the tank is technically a temporary tank anyway until I get the seller from craigslist to sell me a very lovely 4.5 gallon cube tank (glass 10x10x10 inches) on the third.
Old 12-29-2010, 08:58 PM   #6 
dramaqueen
Banned

Maybe he'll improve once he gets settled in. Poor thing! Well, he's got a good home, now. Stupid USPS!
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 11:11 PM   #7 
MrVampire181

Linda shipped correct? Hmmm I wonder what it could be...I doubt it was heat...she lines her boxes with foil backed styrofoam to reflect the heat and places the fish bags in a black garbage bag to absord heat.

Maybe he's just stressed from shipment. Add some IAL and keep him in the dark.

Changing shipping method...all winter shipments must be picked up at the Post Office.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 11:23 PM   #8 
Tsuhei

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrVampire181 View Post
Linda shipped correct? Hmmm I wonder what it could be...I doubt it was heat...she lines her boxes with foil backed styrofoam to reflect the heat and places the fish bags in a black garbage bag to absord heat.

Maybe he's just stressed from shipment. Add some IAL and keep him in the dark.

Changing shipping method...all winter shipments must be picked up at the Post Office.
Actually Julie sent him yesterday and he arrived today. She didn't notice anything, so I bet USPS hurt him. -_- lazy people...my mail box is less than 1 minute away, and less than 10 seconds away by truck...is it too difficult to make someone sign for such an important package?! Raised the temperature of my heater to about 80F and lowered the water level to 4 inches so he can have an easier time to get air.
Old 12-29-2010, 11:28 PM   #9 
MrVampire181

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsuhei View Post
Actually Julie sent him yesterday and he arrived today. She didn't notice anything, so I bet USPS hurt him. -_- lazy people...my mail box is less than 1 minute away, and less than 10 seconds away by truck...is it too difficult to make someone sign for such an important package?! Raised the temperature of my heater to about 80F and lowered the water level to 4 inches so he can have an easier time to get air.
Tell me exactly how she packed him (in detail por favor). This isn't the first time I've heard people having issues with her. Bad packing + USPS = sick or dead fish :(
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 11:30 PM   #10 
Tsuhei

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrVampire181 View Post
Tell me exactly how she packed him (in detail por favor). This isn't the first time I've heard people having issues with her. Bad packing + USPS = sick or dead fish :(
Well she used a styrofoam box filled with more bits of styrofoam and a heat pack in one corner, and the betta in a diagonal corner, double bagged and wrapped in newspaper. The water level was 1/3 to 1/2 of the bag. I've never had a problem with her, either...but USPS practically stuffed him into my mail box. It was probably their poor handling with the poor little guy.