Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-28-2010, 11:22 PM   #1 
fishfinatic

Syndontis?

So, about a month ago, I picked up what I was told a pygmy cory ( I had never seen one so I had no idea lol), only to find out it was a syndontis. He's an itty bitty thing, maybe 2 inches head to tail. I haven't been able to locate any more, so he's been chilling in my big community tank, mostly hiding. Causes no problems at all.
I was wondering if I could put him in my sorority tank? 10 females, 1 male (for now, long story lol, he's very submissive for the moment, keeping a close eye on him). I tried albino cories, but they both passed away withen 2 days, I'm sure they were just ill, but, I don't know for sure. I know a bottom feeder isn't nessecary, but I'd figure I'd ask if my syndontis could exsist with my girlies?
fishfinatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 03:02 AM   #2 
Ademsoar

Hows it going,
Well first off if you get more cory cats in the future you may want to try increasing the number of cory cats you have, they do great in groups of four to six. I currently have a 20g with 4 peppered cory cats, 3 oto cats, 5 fruitloop tetras and one female betta. They all thrive together as a matter of fact my female has taken over and seemingly become the pack leader for the tetras too. Its pretty hysterical actually, but yes for now it shouldn't be any bother to them, although when it becomes larger it will have to be switched out. And if it is indeed a Synodontis they get rather large up to 8" I believe, hopefully you have the right size tank to care for him. Goodluck!
Ademsoar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 12:12 PM   #3 
fishfinatic

Well, I was reading that some types only grow to 4", so here's to hoping. If not, I have a family member with a very large tank that he can go live in.
And yes, I know about cories and groups, I have a group of 5 in my 45 gallon community tank, but, they only had 2 albinos at the time and I was trying them out to see if they got along in my girls tank. i would have gotten them some more buddies if it had gone smoothly.
Old 12-30-2010, 04:54 PM   #4 
Carolyn the red

Synodontis grow slowly. I think it took 8 years for the three in my tanganykan tank to reach full size. They're about 6", plus or minus an inch, they're synodontis multipunctus, sort of grey-beige with darker spots over their bodies. I have three more young ones in my community tank, they're pretty peaceful fish who can take care of themselves (three of four are still alive after a decade with african cichlids). They aren't fin nippers, give them hiding places and they'll be fine. One thing though, they are big time fry and egg eaters.
Carolyn the red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 04:59 PM   #5 
fishfinatic

Glad I moved him from my community tank then as I have a ton of live bearers in there lol. He's doing well with the betta's for the moment :)