Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-30-2010, 03:20 PM   #1 
deekim916

Best food for betta

okay, so ive been doing a lot of research trying to find out whats best for my bettas. seems like everyone is saying that the worm food is the best and the flakes arent as great, neither are the pellets. but other people say the oposite.

now im looking at this website
http://www.bettatalk.com/betta_diseases.htm

trying to learn the diseases. but it says worms cause dropsy.
arent you supposed to feed the bettas worms if you want to breed them?

whats the best kind of food for betta to live a long life, breed, and stay healthy. is there any type of additive i can add to the water to keep it from getting dirty with bacteria or diseases to cause the fish to die?
deekim916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 03:34 PM   #2 
fleetfish

You CAN feed bloodworms occasionally, about twice a week. One important rule in feeding is variety in their diets. For example, I feed mine 2 -3 pellets twice a day and suppliment with frozen foods such as brine shrimp, bloodworms, and daphnia.You may wish to feed a quarter of a shelled pea once a week too, since it will get rid of any poop out that's sitting inside them.

Water conditioner is an absolute MUST. It will eliminate any heavy metals and other nasty chemicals from the water and make it safe for your fish. Another additive that is good is Indian Almond leaf, or if you can't find that - Black water extract. These two items imitate a betta's natural environment.

You may also want to use a filter on your tank, or if you don't have one, good ol' water changes should keep diseases at bay.

We're here to help, so if you have any questions about bettas that's what we're here for :)
fleetfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 04:08 PM   #3 
deekim916

thanks a lot fleetfish! where can i get these water conditioners? at my local pet store im guessing. have you ever bred?
deekim916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 04:11 PM   #4 
fleetfish

Yes, you can get water conditioner at any Petco or petsmart or local pet store. (I prefer Prime water conditioner, it's tops in my book!)

I personally haven't bred my bettas but there are some very knowledgeable breeders on this board such as OldFishLady, Martinismommy, and MrVampire.
fleetfish is offline   Reply With Quote