Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-30-2010, 05:27 PM   #1 
Carolyn the red

Hard water, and a filter in a 20 Gallon?

Hi all, I'm new to bettas, though I have kept other fish for a long time. Currently I have a 54 gallon community tank (planted) and a 65 gallon tanganykan cichlid tank. I have three female bettas in my community tank, who seem to be working out even though they shouldn't (I have angels, dwarf gouramis, and some very small tiger barbs, but it's a very lightly populated tank with a decent amount of plants and hiding spaces. I have a 2.5 gallon ready to retreat them into if there's trouble). I also have a male hanging out in a bowl until my 20 gallon tank warms up. I have a few good hang on tank filters, but they mess up the surface. If the tank will only be used for one male, any reason I can't just be vigilant with water changes and skip the filter? About how much water changed how often would you suggest to start? Also, my water comes out of the tap hard and alcaline (pH around 8.5, and hard as heck). I know it's not great, but I don't like using pH reducers. I have some wood and plants in the community tank and I'm rading them for the 20 gallon, but not much more can be done. How big a deal will this be to bettas?

Last edited by Oldfishlady; 12-30-2010 at 06:20 PM. Reason: language
Carolyn the red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 05:36 PM   #2 
ChicagoPete

Im not shure if your askin if you should be putting a filter on his bole hes in know which isnt necesary or on the 2o gallon which you should or the water will go stagnent from no circulation not to mention your chemicle levels will stay high.. I belive a 20 gall tank needs 30% water changes a week and one 50% change a month but thats with a filter... or your gunna be doing 100% water changes a week and 30% changes every other day without one. You can make a baffel to control the output of flow on the filter with filter ellament or a can lid strapped with a rubberband to the out take. Im not shure thogh about the hard water.. you could find a revurse osmosis filter from a hardware store and hook it up to the sink you get your tank water from.
ChicagoPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 06:37 PM   #3 
Oldfishlady

Welcome to the forum....

In a 20g unfiltered with live plants and 1 adult Betta....you may not need to do many water changes-due to the volume and bioload...anything else going in like shrimp or snails? also, do you plan to use ferts, if so, I would do at least 20% water changes before you add fert for the plants.

As for the hard water-my well water comes out of the tap well over 8.5pH and KH/GH over 300 and my plants and Bettas thrive in it.....unless you see problems with plant growth or fin issues in the Betta I wouldn't worry to much...

Filter-without some type of water movement...you may or may not have surface scum issues...usually harmless but it can look ugly and sometimes cause light penetration problems for the plants...but it may not be a problem....other issues that can happen without water movement in 20g is warm and cold spot...sometimes it can be problematic depending on the temp...I have a 25g heavy NPT without filtration or water movement and I don't have any issues and I use it for Betta fry grow-out with some RCS and a BN pleco...I don't use or add ferts to my NPT-but that may be a problem if you do as far as it being circulated for the plants

Sure hope to see pics..hint...hint....lol....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 06:44 PM   #4 
ChicagoPete

O.O I missed the part you where addin plants or I would have skipped that hole segment on water changes haha atleast I hope you where adding a complete planted aquarium... right?
ChicagoPete is offline   Reply With Quote