Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-30-2010, 06:30 PM   #1 
celine18

Exclamation Sam just took a magical trip to visit the sink drain...

so i was in the middle of a water change, dumping out a little bit from the temp bowl to replace with new, and sam jumped out of the bowl, and down the drain. well, much screaming and crying later, we found him sitting on the bottom of the disposal, and managed to stick a net down there and use a chopstick to poke him into it. he's now swimming around, very happy with himself, in his little wc bowl again, and a plate is now sitting in the sink. he doesn't look injured, but i added aq salt to his bowl anyways.

i'm still waiting for my heart to start again and my hands to stop shaking. everyone, PLEEEEASE be careful when doing water changes!!!!!
celine18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 06:36 PM   #2 
ChicagoPete

O>O wwwwAAAATTTTTTT...!?!?!?! pooorr guy. *>*
ChicagoPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 06:46 PM   #3 
Tsuhei

Oh my, that's scary! When I read the title of your post, I thought he went as far down as the U-Pipe...glad you were able to get him before that point!!
Tsuhei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 06:52 PM   #4 
Busted

Very glad you was able to save him and to hear he is doing ok I would have lost my mind if one of mine did this x.x
Busted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 06:54 PM   #5 
fleetfish

This is why I always use a seperate, smaller container to keep them in when doing changes, far far away from the sink. I've never had one fall into the drain, but it's been close. I've learned my lesson! I hope Sam is okay!
fleetfish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 07:03 PM   #6 
celine18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsuhei View Post
Oh my, that's scary! When I read the title of your post, I thought he went as far down as the U-Pipe...glad you were able to get him before that point!!
yes, i was very lucky that he stopped before then, but my father already had his tools out ready to take it apart to save him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted View Post
Very glad you was able to save him and to hear he is doing ok I would have lost my mind if one of mine did this x.x
i pretty much did! i'm lucky my parents were here, or idk what i would of done...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetfish View Post
This is why I always use a seperate, smaller container to keep them in when doing changes, far far away from the sink. I've never had one fall into the drain, but it's been close. I've learned my lesson! I hope Sam is okay!
well i do keep him over, but it's a small bowl so it's hard to pour the water out...thanks. he seems like he's finally realised what happened and is in shock
Old 12-30-2010, 07:13 PM   #7 
baylee767

To prevent it when you pour you should cover the top with a net. That way if he tries again he'll just bump into it, and no more worry Lol.
baylee767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 07:21 PM   #8 
celine18

Quote:
Originally Posted by baylee767 View Post
To prevent it when you pour you should cover the top with a net. That way if he tries again he'll just bump into it, and no more worry Lol.
yea, i had the net nearby, but i was more worried about dropping the slippery glass bowl while trying to hold the net so i ended up just putting a plate in the sink >.< i really need to get him a bigger tank so i won't have to remove him during wc's...
Old 12-30-2010, 08:47 PM   #9 
xswornxoffxjello

I'm so glad Sam is okay! Poor guy. I always cover the top of WC bowls with a towel.

Side note: NEVER NEVER vacuum substrate in dim light. NEVER NEVER look away for even ONE SECOND. Or you and your fish WILL regret it. (Learned that the hard way. :/)
xswornxoffxjello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 08:53 PM   #10 
Luimeril

i've had my tiny CT female, Freya, decide the cup wasn't the place for her, and she jumped out, onto the floor! i screamed, jumped back, and cupped my hands, trying to get her into them. lucky me, she flopped right into them!

i keep the cups the bettas come in from the pet store, to house them while i clean their tanks. my collection has dwindled down to one cup, though.
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote